What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which tool kit?

Chris7

Hi all,

Brand new builder here, although I did my trade as an AME I now longer have any tools.

Best tool kits? I see Brown Tools have a kit that is considerably cheaper than cleveland/planetools.

Has anyone used this kit and have any feedback?

Thanks
Chris
RV-10 (Emp and Wings ordered)
First RV-10 build in Hong Kong

No feedback on Brown, but very happy with Plane Tools. Customer service has been good as well as the tools themselves.

Tools

New builder here also. I recently ordered the 14 kit from Clevealand with a couple deletions and couple additions. Kept reading raves of their dimple dies and customer service. Since this is all new to me I won't know the difference, but know I have an appreciation for good tools. After agonizing over cost and tool selection of the different kit providers it finally dawned on me that what might be a little extra cost on tools just really doesn't matter in the end compared to the entire cost of the build process.

I have also come to the colnclusion the starter kit is great, but will undoubtably be buying a few additional tools. ...already have a short list of "nice to have" tools from someone local that just started their 10 kit.

FYI - During the process of shopping for tools, discovered Cleaveland's website wasn't listing all the tools they provide in the kits - it made it appear fewer tools for higher price. This may now be corrected, but something to consider.

I bought ACS's RV tool kit. They're some items in it I wish I had not had.
But one little tool kit and can not advocate more for is the BURRAWAY kit. Absolute must have. So many reason for justification.
Pricey, but absolutely worth it.

send me a PM if you want my spread sheet with the tools I purchased. i think that I went with cleaveland for a base kit, but with a bunch of deletions and maybe some additions. My list comes from Troy Grover (Grovair), who has been teaching a builders assistance class (on Van's for years).

Cleaveland also has some special tools for RV-10. Some of the RV-14 specific tools might be useful as well.

I actually just posted some of my thoughts on tools on the RV-14 section. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=170531

I'm building an RV-7. I opted for Cleaveland's tool kit. I have been very happy and have had a couple older builders remark how nice the tool kit was.

I called several places, and just got a much better vibe from the lady at Cleaveland than some of the other places. There kit also comes with a practice 'phone holder' project, in which they recommend which technique to use so as to get practice with the different ways to do things.

Good luck!

I bought brown's kit. It's very good, no complaints. Some of the tools are not the big name brand' which is why the kit costs less. But the quality is very good and lasted me my entire build with no problems. I recommend it!

Thanks for all the info everyone, much appreciated.

I still have a few weeks before I have to make the final decision so I'll research as much as I can.

Thanks
Chris

I also bought by tool kit from planetools.com. Can't say how they compare now, as it's been a while since I bought my kit, but back then it was very complete and a good price. I would recommend picking the optional upgrades, like the DRDT2 dimpler, pneumatic squeezer, Sioux Drill, Tungsten bucking bar and extra silver clecos. Happy shopping.

Another plug for Cleaveland Tool. Are the products a little bit more? Yes. Is it worth it? In my opinion, yes. Mike and his family are great to deal with. Mike has experience building an RV. They stand behind their products and if you ever have an issue, they will take care of it. I had my pneumatic squeezer **** out on me about 2.5 years into my build. They put me in contact with the owner of the company that makes them and they took care of it. Even sent me extra parts in case i run into issues again. No charge.

I?ve purchased products from other places because of price. I always regret it.

Back