What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting Icom 210 to Garmin GTR 200 need wiring help PLEASE

KGT

I'm converting from an Icom 210 to Garmin GTR 200 and can't figure out the wiring conversion. I also have a PS Engineering intercom in the mix that I am trying to keep wired in.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this conversion and would know which current Icom 210 pin locations correspond to GTR 200 pin locations. Some locations are obvious like power and ground, but others not so much.

I originally purchased the wiring harness from Stein but they are apparently backed up months making harnesses. I'm not planning on stereo headsets because I believe I would need an entirely new wiring harness and I don't listen to music anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Since the GTR200 has a built-in intercom, you may want to consider simplifying things by removing the PS Engineering Intercom (unless this is going into a 4 place plane) or you want other features that PSE is offering depending on which one you have. Intercoms are probably one of the more complicated harnesses to wire.

If you don't want a stereo setup, I agree with Amir... Ditch the PS intercom entirely. The built-in intercom in the GTR200 is excellent. I removed my iCom 210 and PS intercom and replaced it with a GTR200.

Did you buy a harness?

If you don't want a stereo setup, I agree with Amir... Ditch the PS intercom entirely. The built-in intercom in the GTR200 is excellent. I removed my iCom 210 and PS intercom and replaced it with a GTR200.

I'm not sure if my Dynon 180 feeds warnings to the PS intercom or radio itself that would be only reason to keep the intercom. Trying to keep it simple but not opposed to getting rid of PS intercom.

Did you buy a harness or were you able to wire with intercom wiring? How difficult was it to do away with the intercom?

Thanks for your input,
Kevin

The Garmin Wiring diagram uses the terminology of Lo and Hi when referencing the various items to be connected ie such as mic ,headset, PTT, aux input and etc. If you use the Lo connection as the Signal Ground ie - and the Hi as the + for that connection that will work well. Garmin does this to minimize the noise on the various items. Use all shielded wire for the inputs and ground at the rear connector on the 200. Go ahead and hook up the stereo inputs and use the internal intercom , you will like it. Wire your Dynon inputs or others into the aux input and might want to use the stereo music input jack . GTR200 is a good unit. I actually have a A210 in the panel waiting for its next failure to change mine out .

GTR 200 Wiring problem solved

Thanks to all who responded.

I ended up talking to Jason at Aerotronics who fully explained each pin I need to hook up. I will be eliminating the PS intercom for simplicity. Should be back up and communicating soon!

Kevin

I'm not sure if my Dynon 180 feeds warnings to the PS intercom or radio itself that would be only reason to keep the intercom. Trying to keep it simple but not opposed to getting rid of PS intercom.
Simple would definitely be removing the PS intercom. Your Dynon warnings can be fed into an auz input on the GTR200 as well.

Did you buy a harness or were you able to wire with intercom wiring? How difficult was it to do away with the intercom?
My GTR did come with a harness, I negotiated a free harness into the purchase from Spruce when the GTR first came out. But I didn't find the wiring to be that complex, the pinouts on the connector are pretty clear. I could have made the harness pretty quickly.

I'm in the process of changing out my Icom A210 for a Garmin GTR200B at the moment. The Icom has failed on me twice in the last six years and, since I only have one radio, I find that unacceptable. I'm so DONE with Icom. If I can answer any specific questions about the installation, I'd be glad to if I can.

The first thing is that the Garmin tray is shorter than the Icom so the supports may not line up; You may be in for a little metal work (hard for us fiberglass guys :)). Speaking of supports for the tray, the back of the Garmin tray has slots on either side to accept the backplate. Those must be kept clear or you will end up using a Dremel tool and file to allow clearance like in the photo below. You push the tab on the backplate into the slot in the photo, swing the other end into place, and then release it to lock into place with a springy finger at the bottom:

043Sv1.jpg

The Garmin backplate is awesome, especially since the Icom didn't have one; The Icom tray had a solid back. What were they thinking? To release the connector from the tray, I had to use a 16" long jeweler's screwdriver to reach back in there to unscrew the connector. Not only that, but the Icom tray had a pretty much solid top and bottom so there was no easy way to screw the tray to the supports. To remove the Icom tray, I actually had to grind off one of the nutplates which held the tray to the supports. But enough of bad-mouthing Icom...

The Garmin backplate and connector can be assembled in a convenient location and then just snapped into place on the back of the tray. Kudos to Garmin engineering for that.

kn7ye9.jpg

I could kick myself that I didn't buy the proper tools years ago but, for this job, I purchased an Ideal 16-26 AWG wire stripper, and a Paladin crimping tool. I'm so glad I did:

6yjQL1.jpg

E389ca.jpg

On my installation, I'm not using the CANbus connections, the RS-232 connections, or the music input. I only have one Aux input from my AoA, but will pin the connector for an Aux 2 for future use. My headset is mono, but IIRC, the Garmin auto detects mono vs stereo audio.

So far, the only disappointing feature is that the Garmin lacks a SPEAKER output like the Icom had. There's a 40mW audio output, but that would require some kind of amplifier to drive my speaker. I don't use my speaker very much so I'm not going to worry about it.

Last edited:
GTR 200 intercom question

I have a question for those of you that have the GTR 200 and are using the intercom. Does your intercom continue to work if the VHF receives a transmission? The Becker radio does this. You can choose VHF or intercom priority but both cannot be heard simultaneously. Garmin support was initially unsure but eventually said the GTR 200 was the same except VHF will always have priority therefore cutting out the intercom. Has this been your experience?

On my GTR200, intercom will still work but the VHF incoming transmission does just what Garmin says... It cuts out the intercom. So if someone is speaking in the cockpit, you'll only get what they say when there's a pause in the VHF transmission. There seems to be a small lag before it switches back and forth so it can get confusing if you can't get the passenger to STFU for a minute.

Back