What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pensacola Longeron Bending Help

WJaviation

Is there anyone in the Pensacola area that can help me bend the longerons. I feel like im losing my mind trying to get them to bend the correct ways. Ive read every post and every kitlog about the technique but its just not clicking to me on how they are meant to fit on the fuselage. Id be willing to pay someone to bend them up correctly for me at this point!

Is there anyone in the Pensacola area that can help me bend the longerons. I feel like im losing my mind trying to get them to bend the correct ways. Ive read every post and every kitlog about the technique but its just not clicking to me on how they are meant to fit on the fuselage. Id be willing to pay someone to bend them up correctly for me at this point!

I believe new longerons are now pre bent for RV-12's? That might also be an option.

I feel like im losing my mind trying to get them to bend the correct ways. Ive read every post and every kitlog about the technique but its just not clicking to me on how they are meant to fit on the fuselage. Id be willing to pay someone to bend them up correctly for me at this point!

Four tips that may be helpful for you.

1. The F-1234 canopy deck is used as the template for the bend. Mark ALL the stations (forward edge of F-1234, beginning of curve, ect.) onto the longeron per the instructions. As you bend the longerons, periodically place the F-1234 L/R onto the longeron to verify you are getting the curve correct as you go.

2. Purchase some spare angle the same size as the longerons .... just not as long. Use the spare angle to prove to yourself you can do this by one of the two methods below.

3. I used a set of Buller longeron bending dies and if used carefully, they will bend the longerons perfectly with practically no induced twist.

4. Use a vice that is STOUT and just tighten the dies a little .... then move a little bit and tighten a little and so on. Don't really crank down on the vice .... just add some pressure, move an inch or so and add pressure, repeat and compare with the F-1234 Canopy Deck as you go.

If you decide to pound in the curve, you will still need the stout vice but you will also need to address the induced twist ... so you will be bending and untwisting a few times. Pull back on the angle with one hand (or use a helper) and use a stout hand hammer to pound on the angle ... reposition the angle and repeat. The metal will begin to curve ... but as mentioned, you will also be inducing a twist that will need to be addressed. It takes time, so be patient. If patience is not your forte, purchase a set of the Buller dies and practice on a spare piece of angle ... the dies truly work quite well.

This is one of those jobs that seems complicated and daunting until you actually do it. You will find it is quite doable ... just takes time and patience to get right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips John, Ive been following your build log religiously thus far. Im thinking I may need to go ahead and buy the dies just so that I can be sure.

I guess my ultimate question is:

How am i supposed to know if i have them bent correctly? Do i just have to wait and see if parts dont fit later on?

I wish there were a video or something to explain how this specific piece is meant to look and fit prior to drilling it out.

I guess my ultimate question is:

How am i supposed to know if i have them bent correctly? Do i just have to wait and see if parts dont fit later on?

I wish there were a video or something to explain how this specific piece is meant to look and fit prior to drilling it out.

Disregard what I mentioned previously about making a copy of the drawings I edited my previous post accordingly ... You don't match a drawing for the RV-12 because the RV-12 uses the curve in the F-1234 canopy deck as the template for the longeron curve. (I got confused with a RV-9A I helped build which did use a drawing as the template for the longeron curve). Follow the initial setup as per the instructions then when you are ready to begin bending, take it a little at a time and match the longeron as exact as possible to the curve on the F-1234 L/ R canopy deck.

So in short, you measure and mark the angle metal as per the instructions to establish the starting position for the F-1234 canopy deck, starting & ending point for the curve and ending point for the F-1234 canopy deck. Then bend a little and place the F-1234 directly onto the longeron at the proper mark ... compare the longeron curve with that of the curve on the F-1234 canopy deck and tweak accordingly. When they both match perfectly, you are done.

Last edited:
Back