What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Enough Bench Space?

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
It's time to organize the shop for the 9A tail that's going to be on the way soon! I was getting ready to build one of the EAA benches, but then got to wondering if I need it. I have a heavy duty 2 1/2 x 9 built in bench (against the wall - cabinets as the base) and a free standing 2x8 butcher block bench (plan on putting an MDF top on this, so it'll be a bit wider in the end). The free standing bench currently has a vice and bench grinder on each end, but I can move those somewhere else if I need to.

Is this enough work surface, or should I build a small EAA bench too? I know this is probably like tools - you can never have too much, but I don't have unlimited floor real estate because of larger floor tools that have to stick around. Just thought before I built another bench I'd see if it's actually necessary.

Is this enough work surface, or should I build a small EAA bench too? I know this is probably like tools - you can never have too much,

Exactly what I was going to say------no such thing as too much IMHO.

Wheels on the work bench help, also dont forget folding tables for stuff that does not require a solid and flap work surface.

Bench space

That's plenty. I have two EAA benches. That's 2X10. Most of the time they were in an "L" configuration. The only time the were 4X5 was dimpling skins. Of course, if you have space, by a means.

I will say, when you are doing the canopy, having a large table you can walk around (like 2 EAA benches together) is very helpful.

Part of the trick with bench space is to have it as work space, not clutter storage.

Do as I say, don't do as I do...

Truth

Part of the trick with bench space is to have it as work space, not clutter storage.

Do as I say, don't do as I do...

That's words of wisdom for sure. You should see mine right now. I keep trying to clean it up but in my mind, I keep hearing, " don't out that away, you need it". :D

You're in for a journey. Go with it. You'll figure out what YOU really need along the way.

You aren't going to be trying to accomplish "LEAN" production. There are solutions to workbench clutter for production, but hobbies require us to be happy with a certain level of chaos. Enjoy it.

If you have watched any of my videos, you will know I am a neat freak and hate clutter/messes. I recommend you build the empennage with what you have and as you progress, perhaps add more benches/flat surfaces as needed. You may be surprised how creative you can get to make full use of what you already have.

You'll appreciate the more open floor plan if you need room for two full wings, the cradle, full fuselage, engine on a stand, DRDT table, etc.,etc.

In a pinch an old hollow core door clamped or screwed on to saw horses (may be amended with a plywood cover), works as a temporary assembly table, and can be stood out of the way up in a corner when not needed. When I worked on the canopy (slider) I converted the bottom of the Finish Kit crate to a square work table on saw horses.

Bench space is like shop size and money - there's no such thing as too much when you're building airplanes ...

Keep a handful of 2x4's and a sheet or two of plywood around. If you need something, build it. I've build several tables, stands, etc for convenience as the build went on. Some I kept. Some I tossed in the scrap pile when I was done with them.

Quick & dirty usually does the trick!

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I should be okay with the bench space I already have for the beginning of the project anyway. I will just build more down the road when necessary. It really is idiotic how giddy I get planning all of this out. Long time coming. :D

when building benches don't forget to add an overhang so that you can clamp stuff to the bench. Pretty necessary for me.

....I will just build more down the road when necessary....

If your shop gets crowded, you might find that all the wood-working tools have been put away for the duration and instead of a wood shop, you've got an airplane shop, precluding more wood construction.

As a side note, don't forget the need for lots of storage space....

And if you want an alternative from the EAA bench, this one here on VAF is easy to make and works great.

Dave

Last edited:
Two foldup sawhorses and a slab door (used!) store easy and can be used for a temporary work surface that isn't covered with crap:D

Hollow core is light.

Last edited:
I just had a "well duh" moment. I was concerned about floor real estate, so hesitant to build another bench if I didn't absolutely need to. I have a table saw that takes up a big chunk of space. Once the RV build starts, woodwork probably stops for the most part, so I think I'll just build a modified bench on casters that can nest over the top of the table saw. It'll be slightly taller than ideal, but should work just fine. That'll give me another 3 1/2 x 7 feet of table top space for junk collection.

Back