What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I bend a 3/8" aluminum bar?

lr172

Well Known Member
I have an application where I would like a 3/8" aluminum rod with a 45* angle in it. Wondering if I can bend this with a proper radius. I have no experience bending any aluminum this thick and wonder if it will just crack instead of bend.

Has anyone done something like this?

Appreciate any input.

Larry

Sure, as long as you follow the bend radius tables for the material and temper. It's typically called out as multiple of the material thickness. If it's 5-6T you could be looking at 1.5 - 2 inch radius.

Sure, as long as you follow the bend radius tables for the material and temper. It's typically called out as multiple of the material thickness. If it's 5-6T you could be looking at 1.5 - 2 inch radius.

If strength isn't a concern, you can remove the temper with a harbor freight weed torch and a sharpie. We did this a lot when we needed radiator tubing for the sand rails. Mark the tube in a bunch of spots with the sharpie, heat it with the torch at low /medium heat and when the sharpie changes from black to brown you've reached the right temp to remove the temper.

If strength isn't a concern, you can remove the temper with a harbor freight weed torch and a sharpie. We did this a lot when we needed radiator tubing for the sand rails. Mark the tube in a bunch of spots with the sharpie, heat it with the torch at low /medium heat and when the sharpie changes from black to brown you've reached the right temp to remove the temper.

It is bar stock. Basically a solid chunk of 3/8" aluminum rod, not a tube. I have bent tube before without problems.

annealing is a possibility, as the part doesn't need any significant strength.

Larry

Bar stock? Eat Lunch first------and you'll probably break the bender handles trying to do it. 3/8 conduit bender----probably will have a much larger bend radius than what you are looking for. Call me

Tom

Test

I don't think it will crack if you bend it. I am not sure what is your application but I would do a test bend by putting the rod in a vise with some protection then slip a pipe over the end and bend it to the angle you want. It's only 3/8" round so it should bend easily.

I don't think it will crack if you bend it. I am not sure what is your application but I would do a test bend by putting the rod in a vise with some protection then slip a pipe over the end and bend it to the angle you want. It's only 3/8" round so it should bend easily.

This. And I'd use some sort of steel rod or cylinder with the appropriate diameter/radius as a mandrel/form to bend the pipe around. That way, you'll get a desirable, even bend. I've had good luck clamping the piece and the bending form (?) in a vise and going from there.

If the application is structural at all, take a magnifying glass and carefully examine the outside of the bend.

Bending

Not a word about what aluminum alloy. An intelligent response is not possible without that information. The possibilities range from easy with 1100-O to unlikely with 7075. It would also be nice to know what the planned application is.

Not a word about what aluminum alloy. An intelligent response is not possible without that information. The possibilities range from easy with 1100-O to unlikely with 7075. It would also be nice to know what the planned application is.

Sorry, completely forgot to add that. It is a solid 3/8"extruded aluminum rod. It is 6061 with a T6511 temper. It will be used in a component to hold the seat belts when not in use on the 10.

Larry

Last edited:
I "Like" JRS's comment - Right On!

6061 can be "annealed" but the sharpie and torch technique isn't annealing, it's relief from Work hardening and is sometimes described as "W" temper.

Check the product guides, Like "Forming Alcoa Aluminum",
Thicker sections of 6061 will accept tighter bends if you raise the portion to be bent to 300-350 deg. F. I've successfully bent 1/2" 6061 to about a 3/4" radius using heat. But I had a commercial press brake to do the task.

FWIW

I "Like" JRS's comment - Right On!

6061 can be "annealed" but the sharpie and torch technique isn't annealing, it's relief from Work hardening and is sometimes described as "W" temper.

Check the product guides, Like "Forming Alcoa Aluminum",
Thicker sections of 6061 will accept tighter bends if you raise the portion to be bent to 300-350 deg. F. I've successfully bent 1/2" 6061 to about a 3/4" radius using heat. But I had a commercial press brake to do the task.

FWIW

will raising the temp to 350 work without annealing first? I can make a jig and bend this in the 10 ton press. As mentioned in my previous post, it has a T6 temper.

Larry

Is this to be used as a "hook" to "store" the belts when not in use?

If so, I'd say sure. For that use, tubing may be enough ???

I believe my prior bend was for T-6.

My OCD says still check the Alcoa guide.

Regards.

Marc

Is this to be used as a "hook" to "store" the belts when not in use?

If so, I'd say sure. For that use, tubing may be enough ???

I believe my prior bend was for T-6.

My OCD says still check the Alcoa guide.

Regards.

Marc

I have the round stock and tubing won't let me add threaded end caps. I will try it. I may also jsut modify the base and drill/tap some holes at an angle.

Thanks,

Larry

Back