What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron alignment?

N333M

I have a just purchased 9A that has a heavy left wing..so much the trim wont relieve it.
after much measuring and consternation, I believe the wings are very close to the same incidence, I measured with a 4 ft Stabila digital level about .3 degrees difference between the wings averaged over 6 places. (3 tenths) With the left wing having more incidence
There is a twist in the right side aileron, its 1/2 inch high on the outboard end when the inboard is held even with the trailing edge of the flap. hmm..a little upward bow in the trailing edge of it right to left also. Adjusting the left flap down 3 degrees farther than the right side takes the pressure off. Dont like this solution. aircraft rides rougher.
now..in regards to the ailerons, they are BOTH quite a bit higher at the leading edge than the wing. when I lay a straight edge across the wing and aileron, there is quite a gap..over a quarter inch at the wing just in front of the aileron.
A close examination of the fiberglass tip..the right side tip has an pretty good dish in the underside trailing edge, with the trailing edge low.

In examining the ailerons, and reading the solutions offered here, its not clear to me just which hole should be slotted, or redrilled, or whatever. Is it in the thin pieces on the aileron, or in the heavier bracket that is riveted to the wing?

There is a lot going on here. I would suggest checking your rigging first, then move on to fixing any suspects like the wing tip. Twists in ailerons are pretty common, but double check how far out they really are. I would remove them and use a flat table. Make sure it isn't wing tip alignment. It is very common to have to split the wing tip trailing edge to align to the aileron. Get the machine rigged right, then tackle each issue BEFORE you start moving hinge brackets.
Remember when you test fly to have equal fuel in each tank and an equal passenger or weight in the copilot seat.
My two cents.

Last edited:
Back