What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Non Touch to Touch

Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
I am upgrading from two Non Touch to one 10" Touch unit. I have a GSU73 and a GSU25. I installed a TOGA button in a discrete pin of the GSU73 but it would not work with my 430W. I recently upgraded from the 430W to a 650xi but I forgot to try the TOGA setup. I have also upgraded from a 305 to a 507. Two questions:

1. Will the TOGA work through the GSU73 without additional wiring through the 650xi. If not, will it work through the 507 plug (507 pin out shows TOGA pins. The 507 will be a great deal easier than doing anything to the 650xi)

2. How do you access Smart Glide on the G3X Touch without wiring a separate switch/button to activate it. If it would be easier to activate it with a separate dedicated button switch, how is it wired (through a discrete on the GSU73 or through the 650xi. (Same question as it relates to the 507 as alternative to wiring separate button)

Someone had recently posted a use for the smart glide application to a non pilot passenger (my wife) much like the level button as a safety factor.

I am upgrading from two Non Touch to one 10" Touch unit. I have a GSU73 and a GSU25. I installed a TOGA button in a discrete pin of the GSU73 but it would not work with my 430W. I recently upgraded from the 430W to a 650xi but I forgot to try the TOGA setup. I have also upgraded from a 305 to a 507. Two questions:

1. Will the TOGA work through the GSU73 without additional wiring through the 650xi. If not, will it work through the 507 plug (507 pin out shows TOGA pins. The 507 will be a great deal easier than doing anything to the 650xi)

Hello,

You need to separately activate the missed approach function with the TO/GA button on the G3X Touch and the GTN (using a single button).

The G3X Touch TO/GA button may be wired to either the GMC 507 or your GSU 73. Where you have it now on the GSU 73 is fine.

Page 28-5 of the Rev. AP G3X Touch Installation manual shows example wiring for a GSU 73 and a GTN with a DPST button.

2. How do you access Smart Glide on the G3X Touch without wiring a separate switch/button to activate it. If it would be easier to activate it with a separate dedicated button switch, how is it wired (through a discrete on the GSU73 or through the 650xi. (Same question as it relates to the 507 as alternative to wiring separate button)

You can activate the Smart Glide function by pressing and holding the Direct To button on the GDU 4XX. You can alternately wire a separate SPST button to an unused discrete on your GSU 73 (not the GMC 507) configured for "Glide Activate".

There is no connection to the GTN for this G3X Touch function. If you have a GTN Xi model, this function must be disabled on the GTN Xi since the G3X Touch system takes care of everything as explained on page 35-147 of the G3X Touch installation manual.

Steve

Last edited:
When you have the DPST switch pushed, the GTN will start generating missed approach guidance, and the G3X will go into TO/GA mode -- wings level and (programmable) pitch attitude.

One things are stable, the pilot HAS TO select NAV mode for the G3X to follow the guidance, and program the altitudes manually (I think). ATC has never let me fly a full published miss due to traffic, so I'm not sure about a missed procedure with lots of restrictions.

One things are stable, the pilot HAS TO select NAV mode for the G3X to follow the guidance...

Ed,

This isn't entirely correct. When you go missed on a GPS approach (e.g. LPV), the G3X Touch flight director automatically transitions the lateral mode from GA (go around) to GPS NAV without any pilot action.

I always select the missed approach hold altitude prior to the FAF so the system is all ready to fly the missed and capture that altitude with minimal effort/thought. The flight director vertical mode automatically arms for selected altitude capture (ALTS) when you execute the missed.

Steve

Back