What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unpainted cabin top during Phase 1.

DCBrown198

Patron
I have seen many 10s flying during phase 1 with unpainted fiberglass cabin tops. Am I correct in assuming that the cabin top can withstand UV during this period without significant resin degradation?

Thanks.

David

The cabin top requires a lot of body work (micro, sand, repeat). Might as well get a start on it now so that you can at least put a coat of primer on it before you expose it to the elements.

Same goes for your cowl (inside and out). On the inside use a white primer - or topcoat over your primer with a white enamel paint. Once you get oil on raw fiberglass it will be there forever.

Carl

Thanks Carl,

Yes tell me about all the sanding and filling. I’ve done all I’m going to do until the last few touchups before painting. I’m about to fly my plane… And was just curious about having it out in the sunlight for 40 hours without primer.

I think I’ll throw a coat on. Much of it will likely be sanded back again before painting however.

Thanks

I have seen many 10s flying during phase 1 with unpainted fiberglass cabin tops. Am I correct in assuming that the cabin top can withstand UV during this period without significant resin degradation?

Thanks.

David

No issues with leaving the cabin unpainted.

It is not the UV that is your issue. It is the oils and contaminants settling on the top. They create issues with paint adhesion and are difficult to remove from porous surfaces. At a minimum let the painter know how long it sat in the elements so they can deal with it.

Flew over a year with the plane unpainted. No issues. Just wash it down every couple of weeks with car soap. Also, get a Bruce or equivalent cover. I have a Bruce that covers from the spinner to half way back on the tail.

Last edited:
I'm trying Toga's experiment as well, except without all that arduous hand-washing stuff. :D

I'll be sure to advise later if there are issues with paint adhesion when we get that far. The only protection my fiberglass parts have for now (and the past year of flying) is the neat epoxy wipe coat DanH recommends to fill the pinholes - so theoretically no protection from UV, just from contaminant adsorption.

UV

I would strongly recommend at least primer. I built a fiberglass airplane and the manufacturer of the kit was adamant that fiberglass should not be exposed to UV. Since the RV-10 cabin top is not coated with gel coat you have no UV protection unless you add it. Given that the cabin top is also structural and damage to the fiberglass cannot be quantified visually, protecting it from UV makes sense.

Back