What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flush rivets under wing walk tape

seagull

Well Known Member
I am replacing the 3M safety-walk protection tape on the wing entry area. I was wondering if the rivets under the tape could be replaced with flush rivets so the tape would lay flat.

I am replacing the 3M safety-walk protection tape on the wing entry area. I was wondering if the rivets under the tape could be replaced with flush rivets so the tape would lay flat.

Not if you are going E-LSA. For E-LSA, the aircraft must be built exactly according to plans.

Not if you are going E-LSA. For E-LSA, the aircraft must be built exactly according to plans.

His plane is already certified E-LSA... Being Experimental, and certified, could he then drill them out and change them? Require dimpling skin and ribs. Sounds like a PIA, to me? Probably easier with wings off, and through the lightening holes?

The plane is E-LSA, 730 hours, the original tape is worn and I am replacing it. I thought this would be a good time to change the rivets in that area (if it wouldn’t cause any structural loss). As I understand it at this point in the game I can make changes.

I wanted to know if anyone had replaced them and what was involved.

Obviously with the wings off access to the inside would be easy.

Sounds like tough job. Usually dimple rib and skin separately and as an assembly. But, I guess if you're determined...

The plane is E-LSA, 730 hours, the original tape is worn and I am replacing it. I thought this would be a good time to change the rivets in that area (if it wouldn’t cause any structural loss). As I understand it at this point in the game I can make changes.
I wanted to know if anyone had replaced them and what was involved.
Obviously with the wings off access to the inside would be easy.

Sorry, I misunderstood. If the airplane is already certificated, you may make that change. Should be a fairly simple job.

Wing skins and ribs CAN be dimpled together. A little harder, but can be done. DO NOT machine countersink!

Last edited:
Yes you can but Vans does not recommend it due to skin thickness. When I had my RV12 painted, I replaced the rivets. Worked fine, wasn’t a big deal to do, but Scott is going to chime in and tell you not to do it. I respect that and the reasons for not doing it.

Actually a running design change was done quite a while back that changed the rivet locations that fall under the wing walk to be flush rivets.

Yes you can but Vans does not recommend it due to skin thickness. When I had my RV12 painted, I replaced the rivets. Worked fine, wasn’t a big deal to do, but Scott is going to chime in and tell you not to do it. I respect that and the reasons for not doing it.

Guess he's not. Lol. Nevermind.

mine is tearing up too....anyone got a good source for white wing walk adhesive non slip?

Wing walk

I just trimmed the adhesive into rectangles that fit inside the rivet patterns. Looks good and still provides the grip.

Back