What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DPE for IFR check ride in Southern Wisconsin

Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
I'm starting instrument training in my RV6 and my instructor suggest that it would be beneficial to identify a DPE in the area that will do a check ride in my airplane with a glass panel. I would like to make an early contact and discuss his/her feedback on GPS/WAAS only and other expectations.

Stoughton WI

Stoughton-isn't that where Ole and Sven are from. One of the highlights of Oshkosh was when the Doc from Lodi would drive up on his John Deere thing, tell a couple of Ole and Sven jokes and drive off. Funnier than Garrison Keiler. I think the Doc went west several years ago.

I thought that was a requirement? You need to fly 3 different approach types so one probably has to be radio navigation based.

I thought that was a requirement? You need to fly 3 different approach types so one probably has to be radio navigation based.

By the letter of the law only an ILS or PAR approach is considered a Precision approach.

There are Examiners out there using the LPV as a precision approach if it has 200' mins. and allowing an LPV with 300' or more mins as a non precision.

I'm starting instrument training in my RV6 and my instructor suggest that it would be beneficial to identify a DPE in the area that will do a check ride in my airplane with a glass panel. I would like to make an early contact and discuss his/her feedback on GPS/WAAS only and other expectations.

Tom Cordell near Elkhorn, WI

By the letter of the law only an ILS or PAR approach is considered a Precision approach.

There are Examiners out there using the LPV as a precision approach if it has 200' mins. and allowing an LPV with 300' or more mins as a non precision.

In fact, this is consistent with the ACS (nee PTS), which requires a precision approach OR an LPV with minimums below 300' agl. The issue is the two required non-precision approaches. The ACS says they should be chosen so they use two different types of nav-aids. e.g., gps, VOR, LOC, .... Hard to see how 2 different gps-based approaches fit into this requirement.

WAAS GPS only

I have been working with Dick on my RV equipment set up. Dick will require a VOR with the GPS for check ride.

That would be an issue with me since I only have a GPS 175 for navigation. I decided to forgo the Nav radio because of the following info in the Instrument Rating - Airplane Airman Certification Standards (Change 1) revised 6/6/19 where it states a GPS can be used to demonstrate a precision approach.

Task B. Precision Approach

The applicant must accomplish a precision approach to the decision altitude (DA) using aircraft navigational equipment for centerline and vertical guidance in simulated or actual instrument conditions. Acceptable instrument
approaches for this part of the practical test are the ILS and GLS. In addition, if the installed equipment and database is current and qualified for IFR flight and approaches to LPV minima, an LPV minima approach can be flown to demonstrate precision approach proficiency if the LPV DA is equal to or less than 300 feet HAT.

Back