What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

practice kit TE

Cholley6

Another very newbie practice kit question. At the point I need to drill the TE. What is the best way to clamp the clecoed skins to the wedge for drilling? The cleco clamps I have want to slip from the angle, my larger clamps make me think I'll dent the skins where the wedge stops. Did yall make a wedge or something for the outside skins? I've done some searching and can't find a great answer.

Yes they do like to slide around a bit. My strategy was to surround one hole with 4 spaced out clamps and drill with light pressure. Once you're through, pop in a cleco and move down 3-4 holes, then come back and drill the rest.

If that's not working, you could try putting some thin adhesive-backed foam rubber on the cleco clamps. Amazon has some intended to be used on furniture legs to protect floors.

You can also try VHB tape which is one recommended way of temporarily securing trailing edges, at least in the empennage kits.

Back