What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Foam Rib Question

RV701775

I am about to start fabricating the foam ribs on the elevator, but the question I have is do I sand the blocks down to the black line on the paper template or to the point where the black line is completely removed?

foam blocks

I cut them just outside of the line with a band saw and then just sanded them enough to smooth them out (just a couple of licks). Worked great!

I am about to start fabricating the foam ribs on the elevator, but the question I have is do I sand the blocks down to the black line on the paper template or to the point where the black line is completely removed?

You can always sand some off later if they're too fat when you try to install them. If they're too fat or you gunk on the b half too thick you'll see them protruding from the elevators.

When you weight it down while proseal sets up, don’t use any foam gasket material between weighted material and skin. I put some sill gasket under mine and it really ruined my day. Left a bad ripple in the skin between foam ribs.

I'm at the same spot - I did a "rough" cut on the bandsaw yesterday, then began sanding down closer to the lines - though I still have a bit of close sanding. Ended up getting stupid hot in the hangar this weekend, and cooling off starting tomorrow, when I'll knock it out.

I clamped a piece of sandpaper and angle to the benchtop in order to keep the rib square while sanding. It's worked very well...

Attachments

• IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4650.jpeg
    IMG_4650.jpeg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 242
Back