What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 625 Nav. Database upload

jim etcheverry

Upload yearly subsc. for GTN Nav. Database only on sd card and went to update it on GTN 625 and it fails. I have a new unit that I bought in 2015 with all the database , but they are expired. I install the current software , then bought only the Nav. Database for this unit. I also have a G3x and a 796 which I bought the full update for flycharts, ifr/vfr chart, safetaxi, terrrain ,etc. Look for answers.:confused:

Garmin didn’t want people sharing databases, so the GTN series somehow has the gtn’s serial number encoded in the database, and won’t load without it. Check your manual, see if this is your issue.

In the interest of public knowledge I think we need some more info to help troubleshoot. First I want to confirm that the only issue was loading the Nav Data into your 625 and that you didn’t have any problems updating your G3X and 796. Second, I want to verify that in downloading the updates you used a separate SD card for each device. If the answer is yes to both, then most likely we can eliminate FlyGarmin and the download process as the problem.

The next question is when you insert the SD card into the 625 and power it up, what screen indications are you seeing? For example, is it cycling through the normal startup screens or does the software load page appear?

Any details you can provide can help with troubleshooting. However, Ed’s suggestion to just call Garmin is a good one.

More detail

Yes I used different SD cards for the G3x and GTN625. The 796 uses a usb cable direct to the unit. When trying the update on 625 I go to config. page then to updates. Check the one that I bought and it says it is on the card, then select update and it fails. Hmm. I have registered all my device on Flygarmin with each ID # so the updates are for mine only. Hope G3X expert chimes in. Thanks all

Yes I used different SD cards for the G3x and GTN625. The 796 uses a usb cable direct to the unit. When trying the update on 625 I go to config. page then to updates. Check the one that I bought and it says it is on the card, then select update and it fails. Hmm. I have registered all my device on Flygarmin with each ID # so the updates are for mine only. Hope G3X expert chimes in. Thanks all

Have you tried inserting the card and doing a normal startup? Unless I’m uploading a future database, I never go into config to update an expired database. When you allow the unit to start normally you should get a page automatically asking if you want load the new data and it gives you the option of selecting what you want to load if you have multiple databases (ie, Nav, obstacle, safe taxi, etc).

On the GTNs, you have to start up with one of the buttons pushed, don't remember which one, to get into Configuration Mode so you can load the databases. This is different from the G3X which will look at the SD cards for new databases. IIRC, on the G3X, it looks for databases when the card is inserted, not on startup.

And on the database loading web page, there are different links for loading G3X and GTN databases.

On the GTNs, you have to start up with one of the buttons pushed, don't remember which one, to get into Configuration Mode so you can load the databases. This is different from the G3X which will look at the SD cards for new databases. IIRC, on the G3X, it looks for databases when the card is inserted, not on startup.

And on the database loading web page, there are different links for loading G3X and GTN databases.

That’s only true if you want to load a future database. If the loaded database is expired you don’t have to go into configuration mode to load the update. In that regard it operates just like the G3X.

System ID

Upload yearly subsc. for GTN Nav. Database only on sd card and went to update it on GTN 625 and it fails. I have a new unit that I bought in 2015 with all the database , but they are expired. I install the current software , then bought only the Nav. Database for this unit. I also have a G3x and a 796 which I bought the full update for flycharts, ifr/vfr chart, safetaxi, terrrain ,etc. Look for answers.:confused:

Hey Jim,

It looks like you may have transferred the System ID to flyGarmin incorrectly. The system ID should have 13 characters, yours appears to have 14. Double check the System ID displayed on the GTN vs. what you have entered on the website.

If you find an error in the System ID, please send us an email with the correction and we can edit it for you.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Back