What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon System not working with Garmin 175?

steve murray

Well Known Member
Spoke with Stein this morning about getting audio panel (PS Engineering) and GPS (Garmin 175) stack and cables created for my RV10 to mate with my planned Dynon system.

Stein told me there is some compatibility issues with Dynon system and the new Garmin 175. (Not sure I followed all the details but seems like may be ARINC communication protocol issue?) He seemed pretty confident Dynon would update their software to make them compatible but also stated that he could not speak for Dynon and I would need to call them.

So....I gave Dynon tech support a call and was completely underwhelmed with my prognosis for them supporting this in the future..... I was told they are focussing on the STC approval for HDx system and not sure if\when the systems would be made compatible.

Also was told they were not even aware Garmin released the GPS 175 until a week ago....?

Need to decide if I go with the Garmin 175 or revert back to my original plans of Garmin 650....?

Anybody else have insight into this situation??

Don't mix systems

I don't understand why builders want to mix avionics makers. You are bound to run into compatibility problems when you do this. I can't speak for Dynon or other makers, but Garmin systems communicate and work together seamlessly. I've noticed many builders install X,Y or Z panels and install a Garmin GTN 650 or GTN 750. Great Navigators/Coms, so why not do a complete G3X system and avoid the incompatibility problems?

Last edited:
same issue here..

Steve - was looking to do exactly the same here... Interface my Dynon Skyview D1000T displays via ARINC to the new GPS-175. Was working with SteinAir as well. To their credit, last week they spent almost an entire day trying all the different permutations possible in an attempt to get this combination of Skyview/GPS-175 working. Falling back to plan B which is a GTN series unit...

We should have two Garmin GPS-175 units in the office this week that we will test with our HDX and AF-5600 EFIS screens. We should have an update on compatibility in the next week or two.

Please email me with any questions or problems you found with it.

Rob Hickman
Dynon / Advanced

Hi Rob

Thanks for the input, definitely looking forward to getting this issue understood as I am on the tipping point of placing an order.

Your team may want to speak with Stein, from speaking with him, sounds like he has a few on the bench right now awaiting troubleshooting\software updates?

I apologize that you received bad information from our tech support person. In fact, we have known about the 175 for a long while, and intend to make it compatible.
-Robert
Dynon President

I don't understand why builders want to mix avionics makers. You are bound to run into compatibility problems when you do this. I can't speak for Dynon or other makers, but Garmin systems communicate and work together seamlessly. I've noticed many builders install X,Y or Z panels and install a Garmin GTN 650 or GTN 750. Great Navigators/Coms, so why not do a complete G3X system an avoid the incompatibility problems?

Danny,

Simple answer - some people, like me, have had bad experiences with Garmin. I have a brand new GTN-650 in the new RV-8 only because it was the least bad of all the poor TSO navigator options. I choose SkyView for the rest of the panel. This is my fourth SkyView dual screen install and have enjoyed many years of faultless performance.

Considering Dynon’s industry leading after the sale service, I have no doubt they will do a software update to support this new Garmin box (just like they have always done).

As with all such things RV, builders should do what they want.

Not vendor bashing, just responding to a reasonable question with a reasonable answer.

Carl

I don't understand why builders want to mix avionics makers. You are bound to run into compatibility problems when you do this. I can't speak for Dynon or other makers, but Garmin systems communicate and work together seamlessly. I've noticed many builders install X,Y or Z panels and install a Garmin GTN 650 or GTN 750. Great Navigators/Coms, so why not do a complete G3X system an avoid the incompatibility problems?

Short answer: money! My legacy GRT WS system still works very well but my old dual GNS 430s are non-WAAS. It would be nice to add LPV and LP approach capability to my existing panel for under $4.5K. Of course A/P compatibility is also a consideration. I’m even willing to give up one comm. radio if the swap out price is right.

Last edited:
I hope Dynon isn't suffering from management issues. Randy Lervold just moved to Glasair Aviation as CEO after serving for much less than a year as Dynon's Vice President of Marketing and Sales.

I have a Dynon suite in my RV-8, so I'm hoping for Dynon's continued success. And I hope they don't ignore the Experimental market in favor of the Certified market.

It was a sudden move for Randy to leave, but becoming President at Glasair is a good fit for him. He did a good job here this past year at Dynon, and I wish him well at Glasair.

As far as Experimental vs. Certified, here is a something I wrote a year ago when we introduced Dynon Certified.

TAKING EXPERIMENTAL INTO CERTIFIED

You have heard that Dynon is “going certified,” and a few of our customers have expressed concern that Dynon will lose focus on the E-AB community.

Not to worry! Here’s why.

EXPERIMENTAL: We are not taking certified bureaucracy and prices into experimental-land. Rather, we are taking the incredible benefits enjoyed by E-AB pilots and offering them to Part-23 certified pilots. E-AB builders know what experimental means; it means innovation, quality, and affordability, which is what Dynon offers. We are remaining the same company we always have been, dedicated to making the best avionics for light aircraft.

CERTIFICATION: What does it even mean that Dynon is certifying the SkyView system? It means that we are fully meeting the Federal Aircraft Regulations for Part 23 aircraft by obtaining an STC for specific aircraft. And it means we have obtained Parts Manufacturing Approval (PMA) for our factory, which is in Woodinville, Washington. The only difference between our products sold to the experimental market and those sold to the certified market is the required PMA identification on the certified parts.

INNOVATION: The experimental world is known for innovation. Since the very first EFIS-D10 and AFS-EFIS, every Dynon system has had Angle of Attack, and had it for years before it became a buzzword in GA. Every Dynon/AF EFIS autopilot has a Level button, and the SkyView and AF Systems are known for having truly redundant and fault tolerant data and power. And knowing your engine horsepower percent: others still haven’t figured out how to do it accurately.

BENEFITS FROM FAA: The FAA has been great to work with during the certification process. We share the common goal of increasing safety in the GA fleet, and as they have mentioned, “safety improvements are not safety improvements if you can’t afford to put them in your aircraft.” The FAA has some very experienced engineers and test pilots, and they know what they are talking about. So we listened, and have incorporated some excellent feedback into our SkyView products.

ECONOMICS: Financially, Dynon is known for its attractive prices and for its generous warranty policies. We are bringing both those to the certified market. E-AB builders are smart shoppers, and the big aerospace corporations tried for years to sell into this market and finally had to copy both our designs and prices to gain any sales. Certified aircraft pilots will now be receiving the same affordability.

SUPPORT: Dynon doesn’t hide behind dealers; we will talk to you directly. And like most of our staff, our tech support people are actually pilots, builders, and A&Ps. They answer the phone and try to help, no matter the question. And after our generous 3-year warranty is up, a repair is at a standard low rate, typically $450 for even major components.

OPEN COMMUNICATIONS: Within the experimental community, builders and pilots are known for helping each other, sharing information back and forth. Dynon is the only avionics manufacturer that hosts its own, totally open, forum. It is one of the most active forums in aviation, and we don’t hide anything. We occasionally get comments on “wow, it seems like you guys face a lot of problems.” But two facts stand out. First, we have shipped a lot of glass-panel ship-sets, over 20,000 aircraft. And second, Dynon is totally open about every issue; we don’t hide behind anything. We have a partnership with our customers that insures we know first-hand every problem and respond to it. This results in the highest quality avionics in the business, certified or not.

One of the founding principles of Dynon was to bring affordability to avionics; meaning affordability without sacrificing quality, innovation, and customer support. That is what we are bringing to the certified market, and continuing with the E-AB community.

Robert Hamilton
President
Dynon Avionics

....so why not do a complete G3X system an avoid the incompatibility problems?
Because some people, like myself, want what they believe to be the best efis, best gps, etc., from their perspective. In fact, my 2010 panel has an audio panel, efis, gps, nav-com, autopilot, transponder, back up efis, adsb-in - every one of which is from a different OEM. They all play together just fine (except for the back up efis, which, by design, is not connected to any other avionics). So what’s happened in the last 9 years?

Last edited:
I don't understand why builders want to mix avionics makers. You are bound to run into compatibility problems when you do this.
Because not everyone wants a Garmin EFIS - but they are one of only two companies that make TSO146 GPS navigators, so you're screwed.

FWIW, I would not go Garmin for an EFIS unless I had no other choice. Yes, they make a good system - now. But they only got into the Experimental world after Dynon, AFS & GRT showed it was profitable, and they've used their market power and economies of scale to develop a very good product in a short amount of time, at the expense of other manufacturers who focused exclusively on us Experimental builders from the beginning. I don't like that.

Additionally, I have had a SkyView Classic for many years, well before the G3X was as good as it is now, so why would I choose an inferior product 'just because' it comes from the same company that makes the GNS430? As it is, I have a 20+ year old KLN-90B driving my SkyView and it works beautifully. The only Garmin product I've owned was a GMA-340 and I got rid of that when I found a way to not need an audio panel.

Unfortunately, that being said, unless Dynon get their skates on, I will have no choice but to install a G3X system in the spam can I'm needing to buy...

I apologize that you received bad information from our tech support person.
Sorry to join the dog pile but your email is disabled.

IMO Dynon tech support has diminished over the years. In shopping for a new panel I recently asked some SkyView Classic questions but was disappointed in the response and came away with a resolution to look elsewhere. I've come to the conclusion that SkyView Classic "is what it is" with the effort going into HDX and certified.

The Dynon engineers I've worked with over the years have been outstanding but they're not normally accessible and the new hires in marketing/tech support are demonstrably not capable of understanding specific issues that bother me.

It was a sudden move for Randy to leave, but becoming President at Glasair is a good fit for him. He did a good job here this past year at Dynon, and I wish him well at Glasair.

As far as Experimental vs. Certified, here is a something I wrote a year ago when we introduced Dynon Certified.

TAKING EXPERIMENTAL INTO CERTIFIED

You have heard that Dynon is “going certified,” and a few of our customers have expressed concern that Dynon will lose focus on the E-AB community.

Not to worry! Here’s why.

EXPERIMENTAL: We are not taking certified bureaucracy and prices into experimental-land. Rather, we are taking the incredible benefits enjoyed by E-AB pilots and offering them to Part-23 certified pilots. E-AB builders know what experimental means; it means innovation, quality, and affordability, which is what Dynon offers. We are remaining the same company we always have been, dedicated to making the best avionics for light aircraft.

CERTIFICATION: What does it even mean that Dynon is certifying the SkyView system? It means that we are fully meeting the Federal Aircraft Regulations for Part 23 aircraft by obtaining an STC for specific aircraft. And it means we have obtained Parts Manufacturing Approval (PMA) for our factory, which is in Woodinville, Washington. The only difference between our products sold to the experimental market and those sold to the certified market is the required PMA identification on the certified parts.

INNOVATION: The experimental world is known for innovation. Since the very first EFIS-D10 and AFS-EFIS, every Dynon system has had Angle of Attack, and had it for years before it became a buzzword in GA. Every Dynon/AF EFIS autopilot has a Level button, and the SkyView and AF Systems are known for having truly redundant and fault tolerant data and power. And knowing your engine horsepower percent: others still haven’t figured out how to do it accurately.

BENEFITS FROM FAA: The FAA has been great to work with during the certification process. We share the common goal of increasing safety in the GA fleet, and as they have mentioned, “safety improvements are not safety improvements if you can’t afford to put them in your aircraft.” The FAA has some very experienced engineers and test pilots, and they know what they are talking about. So we listened, and have incorporated some excellent feedback into our SkyView products.

ECONOMICS: Financially, Dynon is known for its attractive prices and for its generous warranty policies. We are bringing both those to the certified market. E-AB builders are smart shoppers, and the big aerospace corporations tried for years to sell into this market and finally had to copy both our designs and prices to gain any sales. Certified aircraft pilots will now be receiving the same affordability.

SUPPORT: Dynon doesn’t hide behind dealers; we will talk to you directly. And like most of our staff, our tech support people are actually pilots, builders, and A&Ps. They answer the phone and try to help, no matter the question. And after our generous 3-year warranty is up, a repair is at a standard low rate, typically $450 for even major components.

OPEN COMMUNICATIONS: Within the experimental community, builders and pilots are known for helping each other, sharing information back and forth. Dynon is the only avionics manufacturer that hosts its own, totally open, forum. It is one of the most active forums in aviation, and we don’t hide anything. We occasionally get comments on “wow, it seems like you guys face a lot of problems.” But two facts stand out. First, we have shipped a lot of glass-panel ship-sets, over 20,000 aircraft. And second, Dynon is totally open about every issue; we don’t hide behind anything. We have a partnership with our customers that insures we know first-hand every problem and respond to it. This results in the highest quality avionics in the business, certified or not.

One of the founding principles of Dynon was to bring affordability to avionics; meaning affordability without sacrificing quality, innovation, and customer support. That is what we are bringing to the certified market, and continuing with the E-AB community.

Robert Hamilton
President
Dynon Avionics

I agree with everything here except for the Dynon forum that kind of sucks. I made a simple question about what OAT probe I needed to buy to use with my D-180 and was very specific on everything installed and it took over a week to get a reply.

Aside from that I'm so happy with my Dynon that as soon as I sell my gyroplane I'm taking part of that money and installing a complete new IFR panel with a Skyview in my RV-8.

To those currently building an RV-8 that means there will be a completely wired panel with a Dynon D-180 with backup gauges (electric AI, DG, Altimeter, Oil Pressure), GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot for sale soon. Just drop it into your project and connect antennas and power !!

Last edited:
My panel is strictly AFS/Dynon equipped and it all works very well together. I have nothing but praise for their tech support and customer service. If you decide to install a VARIETY of OEM equipment in your bird then you can expect some integration/compatibility issues. Despite this, most manufacturers have done a remarkable job of interfacing this mixed bag of equipment into their systems. The GPS-175 has only been around for a few months, so don't expect an overnight plug and play retrofit, but they will get it worked out.

Try calling Chevrolet and tell them you are having trouble installing a Ford engine computer in your vehicle. CLICK!

We have tested the GPS-175 with an Advanced AF-5600 and Dynon HDX and it works with both units.

ARINC
Skyview
EFIS/ADC HIGH GAMA Format 3

AFS
EFIS/ADC LOW GAMA Format 3

RS232
Aviation Output 1

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

This is great news. I ordered a Garmin 175 from Stein to integrate with Dynon HDX. Thx for the follow up, much appreciated.

Steve

Back