What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

External power

bob888

Well Known Member
This may be an off the wall question, but is there any reason a battery charger can't be connected via an APU plug and used for ground power?

Battery chargers are not noted for having clean nor stable power. I would never use one for ground power, even if it was connected to the battery in parallel You would be better off purchasing a good 20 amp regulated power supply to use to run your avionics when on the ground.

If you get a good Battery Minder that is calibrated for the battery you have (Odyssey, Concorde, etc.), that works great as a power source to keep the battery up while you are using the panel.

Charger as external power

I'm sure there are better solutions but I use the battery charger for external power. I've not seen ill results. 6 years same battery.

Last edited:
If you don't have a good GPU then I suggest you just run the avionics on the battery then recharge the battery when you're done,

I have connected my Odyssey battery charger through an external power plug (with a PC680 in line) for a couple years now with no problems.

I started out with an old 10 amp battery charger during the panel build and eventually changed out to a dedicated 30A 12 vdc power supply that can be adjusted with a voltage trim screw. Initial voltage setting was 12.8 so it would not charge the EarthX batteries, I later changed it to 13.4 when I added the isolated external power connector circuit.

The 30A DC power supply I used got good reviews for clean power on a couple of the HAM radio sites, picked it up from ebay for $25. Also picked up a DC volt and current meter for $10 and an enclosure for $25. I recycled an old PC power supply for the 115 power plug, on/off switch and fan. 10 AWG Zip cord from local big box finished off the parts. I guess I have about $80 total invested and can run the entire electrical system all day with the batteries completely isolated.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

dpxn9t.jpg

Back