What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tillamook Air Museum

Nice Video. I like Tillamook Museum. Fun little hop over the mountains from portland. They don't have the selection that evergreen museum has but still a fun trip.

If I remember right they have some good milkshakes there.

And its moving....to Madras. Announced last week or so. Apparantly they bought an air tanker business and are moving it and the collection to Madras within a few years...

Certainly better flying weather!

And its moving....to Madras. Announced last week or so. Apparantly they bought an air tanker business and are moving it and the collection to Madras within a few years...

I am surprised to hear that. It will be a lot better for the airplanes to be in the desert away from the damp rainy coast. Although not as convenient to get to, still an easy trip via RV from the Portland area.

I believe the Museum still has the distinction of having one of the greatest collections of flying WWII fighters in the world. I do not believe they fly them much anymore after the accident with the P-38 and Erickson getting up there in age, not sure who is flying them, if anybody at all.
If they need a volunteer to ferry something over ;)

That will be interesting to see someone move a blimp hangar.:D

video tips?

Steve, what cam & settings did you use? I like the nice props....I always get the floating worms look at cruise, or extreme banana at lower revs.! :(

by the way, you make formation look sooo easy! nicely done.

I am in office so had to listen without music, but I loved how you "censored" out part of the landing. I'll have to remember that one for my videos. ;-)

Looked like a great flight, I can't wait to do the same once I get past Phase 1.

Thx

That is a great video. At about 9:32 you flew over my beach house. It is off to the right on the hill above and bordering Nehalem Bay State Park. My younger years where spent in Tillamook. I could see the blimp hangars from our farm house. So, I have a connection with this part of the Oregon Coast. Thanks for sharing.

Steve, what cam & settings did you use? I like the nice props....I always get the floating worms look at cruise, or extreme banana at lower revs.! :(

by the way, you make formation look sooo easy! nicely done.

I have a Drift HD 170 at 720 / 30 frames per second. I think part of the better appearance of the prop is not having the image distorted by the canopy. With the camera mounted inside, and with previous videos from the RV-12, I had the same thing with the prop.

I don't know if that really qualifies as formation, it looked closer in person than in the video, but that was my first real attempt at it. Carl flew off my wing a few times, even in the -12, but all I had to do was go straight.

It was a lot of fun and a really good day for it.

Madras

If you find Madras inconvenient to fly to you obviously live on the wrong side of the mountain.;) It's always VFR on the east side.

If you find Madras inconvenient to fly to you obviously live on the wrong side of the mountain.;) It's always VFR on the east side.

You are sure right about that! I was being a bit selfish as Tillamook is part of the entertainment close to my vacation home. I have driven there way more than flown. Now it will be the other way around which is also far more fun.

Tillamook Museum moving

Speaking of Madras, I heard last night at our EAA Chapter meeting that the Tillamook museum will be moving to Madras (S33).

Back