What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin system ID changed after installation

DylanRush

I know many of you won't believe me, but I recently installed a GPS 175 in my plane, and the system ID that I noted while it was powered from my benchtop power supply was different from the one that is now showing after install. Of course I redeemed my database coupon against the old system ID so now all of my databases are invalid. I have reached out to Garmin support to hopefully get credit for the updates that should come with the unit.

Anyway this is a warning to make sure you note your system ID *after* you've fully installed the unit. Maybe this has something to do with the configuration module?

Last edited:
The config module is what stores the sys ID. That how you can swap radios and everything remains stored with the aircraft not the radio.
Garmin DB folks are super to work with, no doubt they will take care of you.

GPS 175 System ID

I know many of you won't believe me, but I recently installed a GPS 175 in my plane, and the system ID that I noted while it was powered from my benchtop power supply was different from the one that is now showing after install. Of course I redeemed my database coupon against the old system ID so now all of my databases are invalid. I have reached out to Garmin support to hopefully get credit for the updates that should come with the unit.

Anyway this is a warning to make sure you note your system ID *after* you've fully installed the unit. Maybe this has something to do with the configuration module?

Good Morning Dylan,

As Walt mentioned, the System Id is stored in the configuration module, which is installed in the connector for your radio. With the unit fully installed in its rack and connector, jot down the correct system ID and we can get it updated on your account for you. This wont be a problem at all.

Thanks,

Justin

Garmin support was super helpful! I must have jotted down the system ID before installing the configuration module.

Is there any confirmation available on the unit to tell me if the config module is installed correctly?

Last edited:
Back