What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel stops KCOD to KDXR/KBDR?

Joe

Well Known Member
Looking for fuel stop recommendations for flying my RV-8A from Cody, WY to somewhere near Easton, CT (probably Danbury or Bridgeport). Using skyvector.com I've tentatively decided on the great circle route which will have me crossing Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and southern Ontario.

Thinking of fuel stops in Aberdeen, SD (KABR) and Clintonville, WI (KCLI). Will probably RON at KCLI. In the past I've been pleased with the Hangar 9 FBO at KABR but am clueless about anything east of there.

Can anyone suggest something better, particularly for the RON?

Thanks,
Joe

On my trip East last month I planned an overnight fuel stop in Merrill, WI (KRRL - 55NM NW of KCLI). Dual runways, cheap 100LL (3.99), courtesy vehicle that can be used overnight, free tie-downs, helpful airport manager who lives on site and reasonably priced chain hotels in the adjacent town. It was the one stop that had it all. Ultimately I was unable to make that stop, so no actual experience with it. I took a more northern route and did a fuel only stop in Ashland, WI instead which is good for fuel but not a good overnight setup.

Hangar at DXR

Joe,
If you need a hanger at KDXR I may be able to help.
Jake,

Yes, yes, and YES! That would be super. And very generous. Even a place to tie down would be OK.

I'm departing Cody on Tuesday morning and hope to make DXR well before the weekend (family reunion). Tracking info via APRS: http://dubner.us/rv (As you can see I'm at Nampa, ID right now.)

Could you shoot me a text at 503-586-8727 or email at [email protected] with contact info?

Thanks again,
Joe

KRRL

...Merrill, WI (KRRL - 55NM NW of KCLI)...
I had not heard of, much less considered KRRL, Claude, but I will now, I particularly like your wife's recommendation <g> -- that cinches it for me as I'm traveling with my lady. Appreciate it.

--
Joe

Looking for fuel stop recommendations for flying my RV-8A from Cody, WY to somewhere near Easton, CT (probably Danbury or Bridgeport). Using skyvector.com I've tentatively decided on the great circle route which will have me crossing Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and southern Ontario.

Thinking of fuel stops in Aberdeen, SD (KABR) and Clintonville, WI (KCLI). Will probably RON at KCLI. In the past I've been pleased with the Hangar 9 FBO at KABR but am clueless about anything east of there.

Can anyone suggest something better, particularly for the RON?

Thanks,
Joe

Visiting some peeps in Cody or doing a Yellowstone tour? That's the EAA chapter I'm apart of. Small world. Too bad your so close to Buffalo, cheapest fuel around at 3.99 SS.

I had not heard of, much less considered KRRL, Claude, but I will now, I particularly like your wife's recommendation <g> -- that cinches it for me as I'm traveling with my lady. Appreciate it.

--
Joe

Hope it works for you. Sadly I can't give you my (late) wife's recommendation, she probably would have liked it, but I didn't start flying until 5 years after she passed. Don't worry about the comment - it's been a long time and it's not all that raw anymore.

I did see on a post from someone a while back that this was the nicest FBO they'd ever been to, complete with a grand piano. I hope to get there on a future trip. Please do report back on your experience.

Visiting some peeps in Cody or doing a Yellowstone tour? That's the EAA chapter I'm apart of. Small world. Too bad your so close to Buffalo, cheapest fuel around at 3.99 SS.
Jereme, I'm surprised we haven't already met as I've been to Cody a number of times (it's my GF's home town and her uncle lives in Worland). I've been to a couple of pancake breakfasts at your EAA chapter and will be visiting chapter member Bob Evans briefly tomorrow. Wish I could figure a way to get together but it's a quick stop this time (en route to the East Coast).

Jereme, I'm surprised we haven't already met as I've been to Cody a number of times (it's my GF's home town and her uncle lives in Worland). I've been to a couple of pancake breakfasts at your EAA chapter and will be visiting chapter member Bob Evans briefly tomorrow. Wish I could figure a way to get together but it's a quick stop this time (en route to the East Coast).

That's awesome Joe. I'm not very active in the chapter right now because it's a two hour drive one way for me. :eek: The guys mainly fly down a few times a year to look at my project and make me jealous I'm not flying yet. But when the -7A is finished you can expect that to change! Drop me a PM next time your headed out, would love to buy you lunch.

... overnight fuel stop in Merrill, WI (KRRL - 55NM NW of KCLI). Dual runways, cheap 100LL (3.99), courtesy vehicle that can be used overnight, free tie-downs, helpful airport manager who lives on site and reasonably priced chain hotels in the adjacent town. It was the one stop that had it all. ...
Thanks again for the tip, Claude. We're staying at KRRL right now and can verify everything you said. When we parked, Josh from the FBO gave us the keys to the car and told us we could keep it overnight. In addition, I understand there is a new terminal building with food and La-Z-boy recliners where one can spend the night. We're not taking advantage of that, opting instead for a motel in town but in any case, it's a great place to stop.

Back