Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-11-2022, 11:31 AM

Default E-Mag Pirep

Having my engine torn down because of a prop strike at AirVenture and part of the inspection is the replacement of the slick magnetos. Iím seriously considering having Popular Grove install dual E-Mag electronic ignition instead of Slick Mags during the rebuild. The cost difference isnít great at this time.

I like the idea that E-Mag has of having an internal alternator to power the ignition system in case of electrical failure. Iíve also heard that Superior and Lycoming puts E-Mags on their new experimental engines.

My question: iWhat is the VAF consensus on having dual E-Mags and what experience has the community had with the E-Mag product?
Jim Harris, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015) Superior XPIO-360 B1AA2, MT9 CS prop, Two PMags, Dual GRT Horizon EX with ARINC, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto level & trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to EX, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT, Mountain High O2, CO2 monitor, Custom Interior, TS Flightline hoses, ETX900 Battery, Bruce Cover

Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 08-11-2022, 11:41 AM

There are so many threads about this ... but the consensus is:

For ease of use/installation, they are great and get the job done, way better than traditional mags, typically cranks on half prop, no more hot start issues, smooth idle, a bit better efficiency at altitude.

However, there are more tunable systems available. Slightly more complex to install, but if you're an engine geek there are some great options.
N196 RV-14A #140376 (Flying) 2019 Bronze Lindy
N169 Carbon Cub EX-3 (Finishing)
N15Z RV-15 (Waiting ... impatiently)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:06 PM

I really like my Pmag and will seriously consider replacing my right side slick with a second Pmag in a couple hundred hours when the 500 hour is due.

Pros
-starts easy
-efficiency gain
-self powering
-Using auto-plugs, awesome! Cheap to replace about every 100 hours, never foul up.
-very easy to time

Cons
-your CHTs will go up a very noticeable amount so if you are borderline now, well... You can retard them a few degrees and it will make a very noticeable reduction in CHTs
-100 hour inspection. Every 100 hours you have to take them off the engine and check the shaft for any play, ripple feel, re-time, etc. etc. It's not that big of a deal but it is annoying for sure.
-many people agree that the timing curve is a bit aggressive (also why many people retard a few degrees)

Like Bill said, there are a ton of threads you could read for hours if you wanted to. Great for the set and forget minded person, not the person that wants to tune and tune and tune.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:37 PM

I have dual pMags running for close to 20 years on my first RV (8A) and now have 300+ hours on a dual pMag install on my RV-8. There is also a six cylinder pMag running on my old RV-10 and I ordered my new RV-10 engine with dual pMags.

I offer my strongest recommendation for dual pMag install. The engine starts on a blade and it will run smooth deep into LOP - all the way to the point the fan stops. Like some other electronic ignition options the timing advance for typical cross country settings yields a reduction in fuel burn compared to a mag. Full power for takeoff remains at about what you get with a mag. The joy of never needing to clean aviation plugs is a big bonus.

The other big advantage of pMag over the other electronic ignition options is the pMag eliminates the required ship power back up as pMag generates its own power.

There is a lot of talk about needing an EI Commander. For the vast majority of RV installs I consider this unnecessary.

I recommend following the install instructions to set the timing, and run with the jumper in (limits advance to a maximum of 9 degrees from whatever you set as the base timing).

Carl
Old 08-11-2022, 02:25 PM

I have dual p-mags, easy start, cheap plugs, super easy starts but the CHT runs hotter even timed a couple degrees retarded.
I would recommend dual.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3018529
2022 dues PAID
Old 08-11-2022, 09:13 PM

Are you building your airplane on consensus? Seriously, there is so much information out there and so much competition in the decades since the Emag product hit the scene that this is not the forum to make a decision.

What is the mission statement for your ignition? Figure that out and then you can see if the emag aligns. If not, find another product.

You want a quick and dirty? Pmags will often give better performance than magnetos, but have similar (or increased) maintenance requirements. But they have a fixed ignition curve which may or may not suit your engine or how you operate your engine. More modern ignitions offer far more flexibility and versatility which will almost certainly fit your mission.

But Homework is required.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 08-12-2022, 12:34 AM

Default Love them

I've had two P MAgs on my RV-4 since it first flew in 2009. Easy to install, simple to wire, easy to run, and no extra power required for backup. For MY mission this is perfect. Like others have said, look at what you are hoping to do, and determine if this is the best solution.

I wanted something that would do the following, or be:

- Easy to install
- Save some fuel
- Not require backup power
- Make starts easy
- Easy to maintain

I wasn't too interested in getting into the weeds on really tweaking my ignition system for absolute optimum performance. I think other systems can give you more performance or flexibility, but I'm no expert.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:19 AM

My RV-6 has had dual P-Mags for about 7 years. They have performed flawlessly. Prior I had a Lightspeed for my right mag for 15 years and it performed flawlessly.

I am planning to use dual Lightspeed on my RV-9. I've decided the complexity of a dual electrical system is less than the P-Mag mechanical complexity. I'll also gain extra space between the engine and firewall.

My experience is either Lightspeed or P-Mag will do the job very well.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Are you building your airplane on consensus? Seriously, there is so much information out there and so much competition in the decades since the Emag product hit the scene that this is not the forum to make a decision.

What is the mission statement for your ignition? Figure that out and then you can see if the emag aligns. If not, find another product.

You want a quick and dirty? Pmags will often give better performance than magnetos, but have similar (or increased) maintenance requirements. But they have a fixed ignition curve which may or may not suit your engine or how you operate your engine. More modern ignitions offer far more flexibility and versatility which will almost certainly fit your mission.

But Homework is required.
+1

I did not choose Pmags based upon all of the information posted here. I chose a more reliable and more tunable solution similar to the SDS system. Another vote to do your homework first.

Larry
Old 08-12-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Are you building your airplane on consensus?……But Homework is required.
Of course, one key component in doing one’s homework on a Van’s RV maintenance topic is a post on VAF asking for opinions from the many knowledgeable folks here. I wouldn’t view that as building my airplane on consensus, but rather using that consensus as a starting point in doing my homework.
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Closed Thread