What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

15 year old, 0 hour Aero Sport Power O-360

torn

I'm taking over a RV-7QB project that comes with a Aero Sport Power O-360. The engine has sat unmolested in its box from ASP in a garage in Tucson, AZ for 15 years. As I now prep the logistics and planning to restart the build, what should my general expectations be for getting the engine ready for use (eg. inspection, teardown, replacing seals, etc)?

Also, there's a 0 hr Hartzell C/S prop as well. Is there anything to look out for on it?

Last edited:
Give the folks at Aerosport Power a call. I’m sure they would be happy to advise you what to look at. It’s their product after all.
Same advise for the Hartzell. Call them.

Will do Ralph! I'm still a couple weeks away from getting it into the hangar here in SoCal so still lacking some finer points of options, serial, etc. but I'll certainlly give them a ring when I've got it. Thanks!

Your not the only one with an older O-360 here in Marina Del Rey! Mine is a little newer than yours but make sure it was preserved at the factory for long term storage and make sure the dehydrator plugs stay blue and not pink. It can get pretty humid around here. Also check to see if you have the dreaded ECI cylinders which are bad and if you have bad ones you will need to know which "batch" they are in. My plan is just to start it up normally but be prepared for the seals to leak early on and replace those as necessary.

Your not the only one with an older O-360 here in Marina Del Rey! Mine is a little newer than yours but make sure it was preserved at the factory for long term storage and make sure the dehydrator plugs stay blue and not pink. It can get pretty humid around here. Also check to see if you have the dreaded ECI cylinders which are bad and if you have bad ones you will need to know which "batch" they are in. My plan is just to start it up normally but be prepared for the seals to leak early on and replace those as necessary.

Awesome! Thanks for a huge heads up and hope to cross paths soon!

Engine

Aerosport will have an engine tag. Give that number to them and they will have the entire build history of the engine.

Back