What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't use ABC fire extinguishers!

Halon is a gas.

So no matter what position the bottle is in, it will be touching the o-ring.

So I don't see how the position of the bottle matters.

Except that in pressurized form, it's a liquid. Not sure if that would affect the properties, but I take your point.

Anyway, seems like the implied opinion on here is that Halon extinguishers can be installed horizontally. Otherwise somebody would've said something by now.

I didn't see this mentioned. Forgive me if it was.

Firegone foam extinguisher

We used to carry these on Blake's store, but they're available everywhere, including Home Depot, Walmart, etc. AND CHEAP!!!!! $12 to $15 at most stores.

According to the literature, the foam is non-toxic and non-corrosive. (Those terms are relative... don't eat the stuff, and don't use it in place of LPS 3.)

I've sprayed one at the shop and it seemed quite satisfactory. And easy to clean up. And didn't suffocate me. And it stays where you spray it, mostly, aside from some run off.

In flight, you could spray the fire... or spray it on your legs, hands, etc. if the flames were encroaching on your skin. That is something to consider.

The only down side to this type of extinguisher is that they WILL FREEZE in cold weather.

I have no skin in the game here, but I do think that I'd prefer a foam over ABC every time. And over Halon in most cases, simply due to the high cost of Halon.

YMMV. Fly safely!
I looked at the datasheet that Carol posted (thanks Carol). Although it's pretty much "Greek" to me, the one thing that I did notice was that the main component is water. So if you have an inflight fire you would fry/destroy your electronics if you shoot this behind the panel, which is most probably where you're gonna have to shoot it for inflight/in cockpit fires.

So with the highly electronic panels of today that costs $$$$$, if I had to choose between a Halon for $200 and a water (I'm sorry, foam) for $17 which will most certainly fry my electronics worth $20,000... Guess what I'm going to choose. Simple calculation for me.

I looked at the datasheet that Carol posted (thanks Carol). Although it's pretty much "Greek" to me, the one thing that I did notice was that the main component is water. So if you have an inflight fire you would fry/destroy your electronics if you shoot this behind the panel, which is most probably where you're gonna have to shoot it for inflight/in cockpit fires.

So with the highly electronic panels of today that costs $$$$$, if I had to choose between a Halon for $200 and a water (I'm sorry, foam) for $17 which will most certainly fry my electronics worth $20,000... Guess what I'm going to choose. Simple calculation for me.

I guess I just answered my own question from earlier about BC (NOT ABC!!) fire extinguishers. The answer seems to lie with the residue, whether corrosive or not. So all the other extinguishers will leave a residue EXCEPT the Halon. So even if the BC residue is non-corrosive, if I shoot it at my electronics, how do I clean up the residue from inside the units that didn't catch fire...? However seems like if I did with the Halon, I would not have any cleaning up to do... Anyway, that's what my logic tells me.

Dang!! Was trying to avoid that price tag!

Keep in mind that the A in ABC includes you. Commonly referred to as "screaming Alpha."

I'm not sure if Carol was trying to point out a specific hazard that I missed? OTOH, if you look at the MSDS for caffeine, you'd swear off coffee forever.

For MGR1977, if my panel catches on fire, it belongs to the insurance company and my concern is protecting my pink skin and getting on the ground.

But as my post said, YMMV, and I only point out that there are other options than the awful dry chemical and expensive Halon. Another example, my grandad's truck seat caught fire from an errant lit wooden matchstick which broke off when he struck it. He pulled over and used nature's fire hose to put out the fire. True story.

.......... Another example, my grandad's truck seat caught fire from an errant lit wooden matchstick which broke off when he struck it. He pulled over and used nature's fire hose to put out the fire. True story.

Don't try that on a high-voltage electrical fire! :eek:

Information from Element

Got this information from Element so I am passing it along...

Q: Your(website) does not list aviation as one of the uses. What are the drawbacks?
A: We did not specifically exclude aviation, and I am not an expert in that area. That said, the extinguisher produces a thick cloud that obscures visibility. Unless you have the ability to do a rapid air exchange in a cockpit once a fire is out, the cloud lingers for an extended period of time. The safety concerns of not being able to see in an airplane cockpit are obvious, so that would be a primary concern. Also I am not familiar with the regulatory regime in aviation but, since our device is not UL listed, that may have a bearing on if the FAA allows it for use. Paul.

Q: Would a halon fire extinguisher also produce a cloud?
A: Halon will produce no cloud however it consumes ambient oxygen robbing you of the ability to breathe. Again, a problem in an enclosed space. CO2 extinguishers have a similar problem. Aviation poses a series of challenges which no one extinguisher addresses perfectly. Paul.

Got this information from Element so I am passing it along...
Q: Your(website) does not list aviation as one of the uses. What are the drawbacks?
A: We did not specifically exclude aviation, and I am not an expert in that area. That said, the extinguisher produces a thick cloud that obscures visibility. Unless you have the ability to do a rapid air exchange in a cockpit once a fire is out, the cloud lingers for an extended period of time. The safety concerns of not being able to see in an airplane cockpit are obvious, so that would be a primary concern. Also I am not familiar with the regulatory regime in aviation but, since our device is not UL listed, that may have a bearing on if the FAA allows it for use. Paul.
Q: Would a halon fire extinguisher also produce a cloud?
A: Halon will produce no cloud however it consumes ambient oxygen robbing you of the ability to breathe. Again, a problem in an enclosed space. CO2 extinguishers have a similar problem. Aviation poses a series of challenges which no one extinguisher addresses perfectly. Paul.

I've talked at length with the guys at Element and they do not recommend the Element for in-flight use because of the reason you stated.

I DO intend to carry an Element in my aircraft simply because many times aircraft fires happen on the ramp or at least on the ground where you can exit the cockpit. I would NOT use it in flight!

I've talked at length with the guys at Element and they do not recommend the Element for in-flight use because of the reason you stated.

I DO intend to carry an Element in my aircraft simply because many times aircraft fires happen on the ramp or at least on the ground where you can exit the cockpit. I would NOT use it in flight!

I would submit that if you're in-flight and on-fire, you'll use whatever is at hand to put it out. :)

Back