What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Panel Placards

Nihon_Ni

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to have labels made for the instrument panel of my RV-8, and I have room to include any advisory placards that might be required or desired for me as the pilot (i.e., not the passenger warning or the big "EXPERIMENTAL" sign). Common items I've seen in production airplanes are things like gear speed, maneuvering speed, aerobatic/spin limitations, etc. As I've thought through limits on the RV-8, I haven't been able to come up with much that I'd want to placard on the instrument panel.

Does anyone have a list of placards they have in their airplane that they find useful?

On both my planes the local FSDO required a placard to identify the Infinity Stick buttons. I printed out a 1?x1? or piece of paper identifying each button (color of font same as button color), then used clear packing tape to fix it to the panel. It looks like it belongs there - never took it off.

They also required the Throttle, Prop and Mixture controls labeled (this was before the nice new Van?s quadrant that comes labeled).

On the 8A I added a similar placard to identify the right tank as the ?Aerobatic Tank? - it had the flop tube. No requirement, just did. I?ve seen some RVs with ?Aerobatic Weight? limit placards as well.

Carl

Keep you panel clean IMHO

I agree wholeheartedly. Put the numbers on a checklist, but as noted here, you should know them by heart, as well.

I think a lot of people put WAY too many stickers and labels and placards and whatnot on their panels.

the local FSDO required a placard to identify the Infinity Stick buttons. ....They also required the Throttle, Prop and Mixture controls labeled

They're enforcing the requirement that all the controls be properly identified as to function and operation (I don't recall which FAR spells this out). This is a good thing. (I seem to remember a story about somebody who had *reversed* the operation of one of the controls? Anyone else recall this, or did I dream it?).

I generally stay away from limits permanently labeled on the panel (partly because they might change, or you might not know them accurately before first flight). But I do like to have cue cards velcroed in places - they can be easily changed when required, or taken down entirely when you get bored with them.

Cue cards are like mini checklists than don't get lost or dropped. An example is in my little jet which has minimal (but very important immediate pre-take-off and Pre-landing checks. I have those cue-carded on the panel so I don’t have to take my hands off anything to grab a checklist during critical flight phases. I of course have full checklists for when I have time and hands to use them.

I print cue cards on heavy stock, and stick a dot of velcro on the back, with a corresponding strip on the panel.

Paul

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll leave the panel clean, but will probably borrow Paul's velcro idea.

Rob

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll leave the panel clean, but will probably borrow Paul's velcro idea.

Rob

I did really nice painted-over dry-transfer decal on my panel. They look great. However, if I were to do it again, I would probably do some sort of engraved placard or separate piece for just the circuit breakers. I am only 70-something hours in and already making changes that will impact the labeling.

I am a tinkerer, I can't help myself.

I did really nice painted-over dry-transfer decal on my panel. They look great. However, if I were to do it again, I would probably do some sort of engraved placard or separate piece for just the circuit breakers. I am only 70-something hours in and already making changes that will impact the labeling.

I am a tinkerer, I can't help myself.

I'm curious about the changes you are wanting to make. I'm also planning to do a dry transfer & clear coat application for labels. I only have two CBs, so they aren't likely to change.

I recently added a circuit breaker for my new GPS (far left, unlabeled). The old circuit breaker labeled GPS is really for the ADSB and secondary EFIS.

I want to revise the placard that I have here but I'm not sure where to source it from. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 11.55.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 11.55.54 AM.png
    514.1 KB · Views: 182
Being new to experimental aircraft, I was interested to note that FARs require a “ Passenger warning ― this aircraft does not comply etc etc etc....” placard on the panel. I was wondering about that but sure enough, it was right there in the glove box.

Read your operating limitations....

Being new to experimental aircraft, I was interested to note that FARs require a “ Passenger warning ― this aircraft does not comply etc etc etc....” placard on the panel. I was wondering about that but sure enough, it was right there in the glove box.

It cannot be "in" the glove box. It must be visible to everyone in the aircraft.

Your operating limitations should include a statement that says:

"Except for single-place aircraft, the following placard must be displayed in the aircraft in full view of all occupants: "PASSENGER WARNING - THIS AIRCRAFT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL AFETY REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT."

Last edited:
Mel is the 2" "experimental" required on a single seat aircraft?

Yes...............One exception however is that you may substitute an "NX...." number on an RV-3 because it is a replica of an aircraft built over 30 years ago.
ref: §45.22(b)

Last edited:
I recently added a circuit breaker for my new GPS (far left, unlabeled). The old circuit breaker labeled GPS is really for the ADSB and secondary EFIS.

I want to revise the placard that I have here but I'm not sure where to source it from. Any suggestions?

Go to a local trophy shop with your design. Most of them can do a real good job for a very reasonable price.

I'm curious about the changes you are wanting to make. I'm also planning to do a dry transfer & clear coat application for labels. I only have two CBs, so they aren't likely to change.

I used the dry transfer method on the last but one panel I did.

Surface prepped the aluminium panel with a light sanding, wiped with acetone, used a couple coats of primer surfacer with a light sanding then 3 or 4 coats of light grey and sanded dead smooth. Waited a few days to ensure paint was proper hard, then rubbed on the lettering. Followed that up with several coats of satin clear without sanding in between coats, then sanded, and a final coat of satin.

Looked gorgeous.

Its about impossible to change anything without completely starting over or it'll look like ****, but if you get it right its lovely.

My last panel I did in carbon fibre and did silver on black from a label printer with each label in a cartouche.

I am adding dual EI and eventually a GPS navigator. I included a spare breaker for this stuff, but the label won't match the rest. Minor, but over time I expect more will change. That is why I may consider a different label system for just the breakers. It sounds like you won't have that same issue.

I love the dry-transfer label though. I did mine with a flat 2k clear. Zero glare, super easy to read. No complaints at all.

FP10022014A0001V.jpg

FP10022014A0001X.jpg

FP10022014A0001Y.jpg

Back