What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine shop suggestions in So Cal

neonbjb

I'm looking to overhaul my engine sometime this year or early next year and am currently researching my options. I'm looking for engine shops within about 500 miles of Southern California that offer rebuilds on IO-320's. Being experimental/RV friendly would definitely be a plus. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

You had to know us Ly-Con fans are going to tell you there is no place better. Drive up and talk to them. You'll be thoroughly impressed with the shop and the fabulous operation. If I had known they did regular overhauls I probably would have gone there first. Instead I got great performance cylinders, pistons and an indexed cam from them as well as having them redo my crank and rod balance while I waited! Cylinders took 2 months, cam 2 weeks.
Worth the wait. They are the best. Look for their name on most all high performance engines and air show planes. They do plenty of regular overhauls too.

Last edited:
A very well known RV builder from SoCal told me to go to Tim's Aircraft. He said the service was great and the shop was clean with up to date calibration on all their gear. I called for an overhaul on my engine and he spoke to me for about half an hour telling what i should and should not do when i start my engine for the first time. Nice guy with a lot of knowledge.

http://timsaircraft.com

I've been using One-Stop Aviation in Oceanside for 6 years now. They've overhauled all our engines and the one time we had an issue with a cylinder they had a replacement on our doorstep the next day. They are reasonably priced and offer a 24-month warranty. Oh, and they don't take 6 months to overhaul an engine, either. I think the longest I waited was 4 weeks once.

I'll second Tim's Aircraft Engines. He did a great job on the IRAN for my eBay Special, and even installed my Superior Sump and AFP injection system. He's also very knowledgeable and willing to speak with you at length about what's happening with your engine, inside and out.

shops

Pacific Continental Engines at Whiteman Airport in Pacoima
They also do Reno race engines, don't let the name bother you, they also do Lycomings.

Thanks for the tips guys. I had heard of One Stop & Ly-Con but not of the other two. I would love to use Ly-Con since they are really close to me but I don't think I can stomach a 3+ month downtime which they seem to be known for, so I will be looking into the other options.

Unless the shop does all it's own machine work including cases and line boring if necessary, you'll be waiting on others not your overhaul shop. Hope your parts are all serviceable and need little work.
Good luck.

Back