What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 N57DC down in Summerfield FL- 2FA2

1rp4qr.jpg

Sad.

This accident was on the morning news this morning. I had to listen a couple of times to really hear that there were two fatalities. The plane looks to be in pretty good shape for that. The report was nose down after engine out. I would think that the tail feathers and fuse would be in worse shape with the G-forces of a nose in. Note flaps down. I also don't see any turf damage from any horizontal movement.
Sad to hear.

It appears that the horizontal stabilizer is bent downward possibly indicating a flat impact.

"The plane's seats are located one behind the other....."... on an RV-7?

Makes you wonder if the reported even went out to the scene or looked at the photos. I wonder how much of the rest of the article is incorrect. :rolleyes:

Logic

1) From the newspaper link, "... single-engine plane stalled and crashed in a backyard in the 1700 block of Southeast 140th Street in Summerfield..."

2) FAA directory indicates the owner of N57DC lived at 1770 SE 140th St, Summerfield, FL.

3) Looking at Google maps and Google Earth indicates a private grass airport (Monroe Airpark) exists there.

Conclusion: He crashed at his own airpark...in his own backyard.

Sad indeed.

Sincere sympathy to his family and friends.

I don't know how accurate the report is or how the aircraft was equipped however flying low and slow for photo work is a mission that cries out for a AOA system with alerting.

George

Back