What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an ack 406 and pricing

jrm7997

I’ve just started looking for an ack406 refit and it looks like my options are fairly limited. I’m looking for advice and info on buying. I have my 24 bit info and understand I need to register the elt.

I’ve talked to

ACS $828 CDN
vans is $550 usd
Saskatchewan aviation $650. Usd

None of these prices include shipping which always brings up the INFAMOSE UPS broker fees.

Who did you buy from? I’d love to hear about duties, broker fees, best shipper to avoid broker fees etc.

Thanks in advance

I would like to know which ones actually work and which ones to stay away from. Seems a search some time ago brought up all kinds of issues and unhappy customers. So I dropped or put off the purchase.

Not interested

Those questions aren’t what this threads about. I want to discuss buying and shipping.

You might as well ask 2 wheels or 3?
Ford or Kia?
Made in the USA OR China?

Just a big can of worms. So please let’s just stick to the topic.

Thanks

I’ve just started looking for an ack406 refit and it looks like my options are fairly limited. I’m looking for advice and info on buying. I have my 24 bit info and understand I need to register the elt.

I’ve talked to

ACS $828 CDN
vans is $550 usd
Saskatchewan aviation $650. Usd

None of these prices include shipping which always brings up the INFAMOSE UPS broker fees.

Who did you buy from? I’d love to hear about duties, broker fees, best shipper to avoid broker fees etc.

Thanks in advance

I replaced my 121.5 AmeriKing (which was only 3yrs old and didn't pass recertification) last summer with a Kannad. More expensive but has a 10 yr warranty vs 30 mths for the Artex. After speaking with 2 shops that perform ELT recertifications they both told me they have fewer issues with Kannad than any other brand. Artex was the #2 preference. I bought from ACS because there was small discount and free shipping as an RAA member. The least expensive was an ACK, which I purchased to put in a 4 that I am building to sell. ACS did the programming for AC info included in the purchase cost for both ELT's. No brokerage etc when I ordered through ACS Canada.

406 ELT's must be registered with the Canadian Beacon Registry. Also if you buy from the US make sure the unit is approved for and recoded for Canada.

Last edited:
Great info and another reason to join RAA :)

Ill check that out about the RAA membership. Did you have to call it in for the discount or was there a coupon link on the order form?

Ill check that out about the RAA membership. Did you have to call it in for the discount or was there a coupon link on the order form?

The Toronto RAA Chapter negotiated the deal with ACS. Free shipping on orders over $250 and a discount that varies with the item purchased. Not sure if it applies to the RAA National or not. I called the order in as I have not seen a place for it on the order form, unless you just mention it in the comment box and hope they read it.

Back