What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman certificate

resrob66

Does anyone have a regulatory reference that says the phase 1 testing period must be completed prior to being issued a repairman certificate.

I’m trying to get my repairman certificate, running into small roadblocks with a new FSDO inspector who hasn’t done them before.

I’ve looked in AC 65-23A, and don’t see that “phase 1 completed” requirement.

Not trying to subvert the system, but to gain some knowledge that I may be missing.

Thanks.

There is no requirement that Phase I flight testing be completed before issuance of the repairman certificate. If your inspector says otherwise, ask him/her to show you the regulation. Most everyone that I certificate their aircraft gets their repairman certificate long before Phase I is completed.

Ref: FAR part §65.104

Last edited:
While on that subject, and please feel free to delete if this is hijacking the thread,
Mel/others,
Do you know if one can still perform annuals and other work on a plane that he has the repairman certificate for but does not own it any more?
In another words, if I sell my plane that I have repair man cert for, can I still do the work on it after I sell it?

While on that subject, and please feel free to delete if this is hijacking the thread,
Mel/others,
Do you know if one can still perform annuals and other work on a plane that he has the repairman certificate for but does not own it any more?
In another words, if I sell my plane that I have repair man cert for, can I still do the work on it after I sell it?

There is no limitation on who owns the aircraft. You may perform the annual condition inspection on "that" aircraft even after you have sold it. As far as "other work", Anyone may perform maintenance, repair, and modifications to an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.

How do you go about getting the repairman certificate. Is there a document that tells how to do this?

Thanks,
John

How do you go about getting the repairman certificate. Is there a document that tells how to do this?
Thanks,
John

The repairman certificate is issued by the FSDO with a short interview. When I do a certification, I help the applicant fill out the application and issue a letter of recommendation. It's really pretty simple.

There is no limitation on who owns the aircraft. You may perform the annual condition inspection on "that" aircraft even after you have sold it. As far as "other work", Anyone may perform maintenance, repair, and modifications to an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.

Thank you Mel, I appreciate the input.
Just a follow up question, I assume charging for that work (preforming annual) is also allowed, correct?

No way would I continue doing condition inspections on an aircraft I no longer owned. If/when something bad happens then its your name in the logbook saying it was airworthy even if the new owner did something to make it un-airworthy after you signed it off. Just my 2 cents.

Strictly speaking you shouldn’t use the word ‘airworthy’, rather, ‘in a safe condition’. But, your point is well taken.

.... As far as "other work", Anyone may perform maintenance, repair, and modifications to an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.

Asking out of curiosity; is there any requirement for a subsequent inspection and sign off by an authorised person to confirm that the work was done properly and that the aircraft is safe to fly?

(Under the Australian regime for EAB only the original builder or a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer may repair or modify an aircraft and sign off the work, apart from some limited maintenance that the pilot is permitted to do.)

Asking out of curiosity; is there any requirement for a subsequent inspection and sign off by an authorized person to confirm that the work was done properly and that the aircraft is safe to fly?

(Under the Australian regime for EAB only the original builder or a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer may repair or modify an aircraft and sign off the work, apart from some limited maintenance that the pilot is permitted to do.)

Not in the USA.

Wow, isn't that kinda risky? Someone who has no idea of what he is doing could easily and unwittingly make an airplane unsafe to fly and then legally go fly it. The effect on insurance alone must be significant.

There's no flight requirement at all. My inspection was done by the FSDO so I got my temp Repairman's cert along with the Airworthiness Cert for the plane.

No way would I continue doing condition inspections on an aircraft I no longer owned. If/when something bad happens then its your name in the logbook saying it was airworthy even if the new owner did something to make it un-airworthy after you signed it off. Just my 2 cents.

And yet that's what you're asking your A&P/IA to do...

The post I was responding to specifically mentioned a scenario where you sign off an inspection and then somebody goes and screws something up after the fact. No way you can train for that, A&P or not.

Just playing devils advocate where, but If you're qualified to sign off your own condition inspection with a repairman cert, I don't see how you became less qualified when you sold the airplane, and the risk you're taking on is no different than any aviation pro who has no idea what you're doing to the plane after it leaves their shop, or for that matter, how many Gs, or hard landings you hung on it prior to arrival.

re A&P/IA- I was speaking in a more general sense. Even in the certified world, there is a lot that can be jacked up after the A&P/IA signs on the dotted line.

Last edited:
The post I was responding to specifically mentioned a scenario where you sign off an inspection and then somebody goes and screws something up after the fact. No way you can train for that, A&P or not.

Just playing devils advocate where, but If you're qualified to sign off your own condition inspection with a repairman cert, I don't see how you became less qualified when you sold the airplane, and the risk you're taking on is no different than any aviation pro who has no idea what you're doing to the plane after it leaves their shop, or for that matter, how many Gs, or hard landings you hung on it prior to arrival.

re A&P/IA- I was speaking in a more general sense. Even in the certified world, there is a lot that can be jacked up after the A&P/IA signs on the dotted line.

This is true in every facet of what any "professional" does.
I'm a licensed plumber and electrician. I get a city/state/county, whatever, inspection on an electrical installation. It's all approved, the customer/homeowner comes in and does a minor wiring job, the house burns to the ground. I was the last licensed guy that worked on the house. Guess who has to prove it wasn't my fault?:eek:

Wow, isn't that kinda risky? Someone who has no idea of what he is doing could easily and unwittingly make an airplane unsafe to fly and then legally go fly it. The effect on insurance alone must be significant.

That's the risk you assume in the E-AB world. Frankly I wouldn't have it any other way--I don't want or need someone to protect me from myself.

I don't have good numbers to compare on insurance, but I suspect the extra insurance cost is more than offset by reduced parts and maintenance costs.

"Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at."

Back to the original question, you may be able to get it before flying off your hours but what's the rush? Since the only thing you need it for is to allow you to perform the annual condition inspection.

Back to the original question, you may be able to get it before flying off your hours but what's the rush? Since the only thing you need it for is to allow you to perform the annual condition inspection.

While I agree there’s no rush you also don’t want to procrastinate either. Life happens, FSDO scheduling, etc and bam the condition inspection date is on you and no repairman’s certificate and then your choice is either grounding or having to pay an A&P to do it. Neither is the end of the world but easily avoided if you keep your eye on the prize.

Last edited:
Also, some FISDOs are doing the interview via Zoom because they are scared of the virus. That saves you travel time and is very easy overall.

Back