What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Facing a D3000 OH, any new replacement rumors?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I’m facing a five year D3000 dual mag OH. Are there any new rumors of a dual mag direct replacement, or even an available single EI mag so I can go stand alone on the second? I don’t plan on going to a dual battery setup on this A/C. Google gives me nothing but the 2018 hybrid articles.

Throw a conventional magneto in the hole on the accessory case and do the crank triggered CPI for the other plugs.

Search the archives for a how-to on installing a single mag. It's a certain Bendix mag required.

Throw a conventional magneto in the hole on the accessory case and do the crank triggered CPI for the other plugs.

+1

This is what I would do. Unsure if a single mag can go in that hole though, as I have no experience with those dual mags.

Larry

The SDS ignition system has their own backup battery available (small and compact). You could replace with a dual SDS system and be done with Mags all together.

Install the SDS CPI-2 system. You will love it. I? ve been running the SDS on my 6 for 7 months. It is great with superb support by Ross. Bruce Estes

Frankenmag?

I copied a section of Tractor8?s post below. I commend him for his research and thoroughness in his description.

<start quote> To do this you can just use the old D2000/3000 and permanently ground one side.(you may already have this setup?) OR use a single Bendix 1200 series mag in its place. The impulse coupling variety has the same drive dimensions as the old dual mag but must be setup to turn in the right hand direction.(most of them are left hand rotation but can be easily changed to Right hand). Try part# S4RN-1227 10-349365-6
You will not however be able to use an impulse coupling with this setup ( there is none available with the required amount of Lag in the right hand direction that will suit the 1200 series). You will need to use a drive coupling commonly used on 6 cylinder 1200 series setups with retard breakers. Part # AEL 73000. This coupling uses the same drive cushions and arrangement as the D2000/3000 and will work with the drive gear in the engine.
You have to use the Electronic ignition for starting and will have to setup your ignition switch(s) to ground the mag for starting or you will get kickback if the mag fires at low speed.<end quote>

I personally don?t feel great about the frankenmag setup. Oddly, I feel fine with a megajolt/EDIS4, maybe because I have had one running on the bench for a while. I guess my goal or wish list is a self contained emag to plug the hole for one side, and a stand alone for the other. Plan b is to ground one side of the D3000 as suggested and Stand alone the other side. I don?t have a lot of under/beh8nd panel room (don?t install the glove box!) for much more after the ADS-B install.

The 1200 series magneto is among the most powerful available, but it's a heavy beast. I'd lean heavily on the SDS CPI system for the grunt work and stick with a common Slick or equivalent for the piece of mind. You are likely to have a lighter, more reliable system as a result.

I personally don?t feel great about the frankenmag setup. Oddly, I feel fine with a megajolt/EDIS4, maybe because I have had one running on the bench for a while. I guess my goal or wish list is a self contained emag to plug the hole for one side, and a stand alone for the other. Plan b is to ground one side of the D3000 as suggested and Stand alone the other side. I don?t have a lot of under/beh8nd panel room (don?t install the glove box!) for much more after the ADS-B install.

I am in the throws of installing an EDIS/Megajolt system right now. I am short on space as well. I made a plate that mounts to the bottom of the support ribs ahead of the sub-panel. Not the easiest place to get to, but so far it is working out ok and is close to power and ground.

Long term I am planning on dual EI, but for now I am installing just one system and leaving the mag on the other side. I am running the wire for both since it is a PITA.

D3000

Well. This is timely. I cracked the book this morning on the maintenance of this mag. I?ve come to the conclusion it?s a complex mag, has an expensive 500 hour overhaul, requires quite a bit of maintenance, and has to many many failure points that will result in a loss of engine power. It?s not worth the worry.

I have an IO360 angle valve 200hp and plan to replace this mag with an SDS CP-2 duel EI system. I?ve read good things and Ross seems to be great with customer service.

Will keep you posted.

Dual power?

Al, are you going to be installing dual or redundant power in your dual SDS install?

The 1200 series magneto is among the most powerful available
Yep,that's why I chose it.
but it's a heavy beast
It's not as heavy as the D2000 it replaced! Don't forget a 1200 series is half the physical size of a D2000/3000 and you have also removed the heavy impulse coupling.
I personally don?t feel great about the frankenmag setup
It's not really a "frankenmag"setup. The H2AD doesn't know if the single drive shaft is working with and firing one coil or two. The drive dimensions and fit up are identical to the D2000/3000.
Any 1200 series four cylinder impulse coupling type (ie,long shaft) mag can be made work by simply installing the correct points for right hand rotation and replacing the impulse coupling with a drive coupling and resetting the internal timing.
Starting is via the EI only with this setup though.

I'm currently running a 1200 series in the mag hole and a CPI for the second ignition on my H2AD with good results. All up there is no weight increase to speak of.
Good Luck :)

Back