What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl weight ?

GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
I know this information is probably in about 100 different threads, but I'll be darned if I can find it!
I've done a lot of mods to my cowl over the years and it has gained a few pounds. I've finally got it looking and cooling the way I like and I'm considering re splashing it in carbon fibre. I don't remember what it weighed stock, but if I've only added a few pounds Im not going to bother. Having said that,can anyone share the finished weights of their cowls??

I can get you a raw uncut, unmodified cowl weight for a -7 circa 2002 if that would help. Send me a PM.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just saw your response. I will get it weighed tomorrow and post. It is not gelcoat white, but it is a light color and has a honeycomb core.

Weights

Anything??

I have one of each (don't ask, but it was my fault :) ), an original white polyester one, and a later pink honeycomb one.

Both are for a -6A and are fabricated with the hinges installed and no interior or exterior surface finishing.

Lower
White - 12 lb.
Pink - 10 lb.

Upper
White - 8 lb
Pink - 7 lb. - Note this one has the "elephant ears" added and glued in place, the white upper does not.

Unfortunately, the only scales I had were bathroom scales so the accuracy/resolution is not very good on the measurements.

If you want more accurate numbers I can try and rustle up a fish scale.

Raw, as received cowl. Upper - 2580 g (5.69#) Lower 3525g (7.77#) Marked from Vans as "6"

Last edited:
Back