What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Most Wife Friendly RV?

JPalese

Well Known Member
I wonder if any of you can comment on the most wife & traveling friendly RV?

I like the lines of the RV-8, but the reality is the performance & handling of the 7 & 8 are nearly identical - so as people age is there an RV that is easier to get in and out of, or more comfortable to ride in?

Better baggage area for taking trips and going to see the kids?

Other wife friendly factors I have not thought of?

Thanks!
John

It took me a long time to realize that my wife felt left out in the back seat of the RV-4. For that reason she liked the side-by-side 6 and 7 better, but her all-time favorite is the 10, especially for ride comfort, room, and visibility.

Vic

Buy one that is already built.

Signed......Single

Seriously, ask yourself (and your spouse) if your marriage can withstand the build. There are quite a few of us out there that can attest to the influence it made on our ex's.

Agree with Vic

The ten is certainly the most comfy.

Side by side 2 place next in our family. But, the 6,7,9 have one negative that some folks have trouble with. Your feet stretch out in front of you. Most folks including the aged and infirm can get in eventually.

Getting out is difficult for some as people tend to try and use their feet to help get them started up and out. They push against the carpet and struggle. I now have my carpet screwed down. Many older folks have poor upper body strength and struggle to push themselves up with their arms.

I have handles on my 6A slider windshield bar that helps.

I try and teach my passengers to lift their leg and put their heal on the front of the seat right over the spar and use this to help push themselves up and out. This gives em great leverage compared to trying to use their arms or the floor to push up and out.

As I mentioned previously............

http://www.lightrv.com/dakota.html

It has all the pre requisites for keeping the Wife very happy.

Countertop, Fridge, Stove, Shower, Bed - you could even fit an iron :eek:

Guys - it is perfect.

Now you go get an RV8 - take a mate or preferably your son and meet the Wife wherever she chooses ;)

We (note the plural) built a 9 because it allows both of us to see the panel and fly from either side. Although a bit slower than an 8, the side-by-side seems more amenable to conversation than the tandem seating. Generally plenty of baggage space for two. Sure, a 10 would be very comfortable but we 1) don't really need the extra seats, and 2) didn't choose to afford that much airplane.

greg

No way would my wife want to be isolated in the back of an 8. Her comment regarding the 10, "This is nice." Nonetheless we operate 7s for fun and economy.

Side by side definitely. Any pax will appreciate being alongside the pilot and seeing what is going on. No pax? That's where the donuts, thermos and ice chest go. The wider more voluminous baggage area offers greater load possibility for bulkier items.

Subtle points regarding access. A side-by-side slider offers many more solid grab points than a tipper for those weak of limb. Add the tip-up option, and you can drop bags directly in from the ground. Brantel's point is my practice, but many older can't fold their knees that far, so the extra width allows them more twisting space. A nose dragger's level ground attitude helps by not having to climb uphill; counterpoint, it's a taller step to the wing, but a TD is a ways also, especially without steps.

John Siebold

The RV-3, and a Southwest airlines ticket. :D

I wonder if any of you can comment on the most wife & traveling friendly RV?

I like the lines of the RV-8, but the reality is the performance & handling of the 7 & 8 are nearly identical - so as people age is there an RV that is easier to get in and out of, or more comfortable to ride in?

Better baggage area for taking trips and going to see the kids?

Thanks!
John

Last edited:
Have you thought to ask her where she would like to sit?

I sat my wife down at the computer and showed her the options.

Ultimately, she wanted to be able to hold my hand while we flew.

She is going to let me build a plane, so she gets a 7(a), and a deep freeze, and new landscaping, a piano, and.... ;)

more about infirmities

My wife has trouble climbing up on to the wing of my 7A. I use a step stool instead of the non-installed steps from Van's. The stool is better than the steps would have been. However, a 6 would be best, I think, from that point of view. A 6A is better than a 7A for that because the gear is shorter and the tail sits lower, too.

Also, the comments above about clambering in and out are accurate and important.

Step Stool for RV

As H. Evan's said, One of our late RV'ers who had been bull-riding once too many times (really!), had leg injuries that made entry into his slider 6A hard on him. He kept a small Rubbermaid step stool in the baggage compartment. It was attached to the back rail via a nylon cord and an eye hook. He would board the plane and then pull in his step stool.

Say what?????

As I mentioned previously............

http://www.lightrv.com/dakota.html

It has all the pre requisites for keeping the Wife very happy.

Countertop, Fridge, Stove, Shower, Bed - you could even fit an iron :eek:

Guys - it is perfect.

Now you go get an RV8 - take a mate or preferably your son and meet the Wife wherever she chooses ;)

Thank the Lord I'm not married to you! :eek:

I agree with Vic. For the non-pilot wife who wants a plane easy to get into and easy access to baggage, the -10 is best. After that, I'd say the -7 or -9. Some wives like the -8, but it is a cubby hole that separates the passenger from the pilot and the activity, it is harder to get into and out of, and the getting the baggage in and out is a pain. Last on the list has to be the cramped -4. (Of course, the -3 is really last on the list, but that's a separate matter.)

Wife's input on model choice

My wife has had a few rides in different RV's plus she's flown quite a bit with me in our 172. Her first comment about which RV I should build was "I don't want to be looking at the back of your head!" That settled that. I chose a 7.

When we went to Van's factory after I had already built the 7 empennage, she sat in the RV-10 and said, "Why don't you build one of these? I like this!" My answer, "Because it costs a lot more money!"

That's how I'd answer your question.

Good answer!My wife and i actually ENJOY flying together!We share trip legs and usually one flies while the other navigates and talks on the radio,it works well for us,and i get to hold HER hand too!Side by side works for us,but we might add a tip up slider to get bags in-out easier.

claustrophobic

My wife felt a bit claustrophobic in the back of an -8 after just a few minutes on the ground. She didn't like the fact that the front seat was "in her face"... I didn't like her feet beside me up front (she didn't either since she's very ticklish). Though we didn't fly in it, she felt the view would be a bit limiting to just left or right.

She hasn't seen a 10....doesn't know a 10 exists...and I have to keep her away from them at Oshkosh! :)

Easy....

...My wife has been in the rear of a -4 and an-8 and adamantly says, "I refuse to sit in that "hole" back there."

She loved the -6A and also holds my hand on occasion:)

It was her idea to go for the -10, which she absolutely adores!

You asked for "Wife-friendly":)

Best,

This thread will probably sell a lot of 10's.

Yep, got it because my wife said to.

No argument on my part.

Visit the factory and sit in them.

Visit the factory and sit in them. We did. As most have stated... my wife wanted the ten. I wanted the eight. Especially, when I found out how much an IO-540 cost! Well, I had to throw in a Mexican Riviera cruise and a kitchen remodel job but we compromised and bought a 7 kit.

Best thing is, she loves to travel with me in the seven but she still wants a ten to haul grandma and the kids. It may work out and I may get to own two airplanes some day:D. I'd have a hard time parting with my little Ferrari.:D I love it. I just may have to work the rest of my life to pay for the second one.:rolleyes:

Planning a shop now. Can't kick her out of the garage again. So much for early retirement.

Joe

P.S. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

More Questions

I have to agree with the RV-10 first. I don't know where you are with family and kids but I built before kids and we now have a one year old with another one coming the end of August. So my wife moved to the back and it works great with one car seat. I have a bag and O2 bottle that I strap in the front seat.

I know Van has a pick of any plane when they fly to Oshkosh and he usually picks the RV-10. It is less economical and more expensive.

Have her try them out

The best thing I did was have my wife take a ride in a 4 and then sit in a 7 and there was no way she wanted to sit in the 4 for long cross countrys (her words). It is also a lot more fun for children or friends if they can see all the instruments and feel part of the flying experience and not just a passenger.

Depends on the Mrs

If you have a wife like Louise Hose for example then her view of the best RV maybe somewhat different to the stereotype.

My Mrs loved flying in the Cub so I suspect the 4 should be ok. I won't expose her to a ride in a 10 however just in case I have to sell my Ferrari. Incidententy my Ferrari has been recycled into a Subaru.

The best thing I did was have my wife take a ride in a 4 and then sit in a 7 and there was no way she wanted to sit in the 4 for long cross countrys (her words). It is also a lot more fun for children or friends if they can see all the instruments and feel part of the flying experience and not just a passenger.

I did the same thing last June - looked at a -10, had her in a -6 and a -4. She was all about the -4 and we took ownership of our -4 in August. She loves it back there; I think the best thing I did was take her to see a couple and 'try them on'. Once we started talking TCO including another Cherokee and a -10; it was a done deal. My bladder won't last the fuel quantity on our -4 and hers won't either. We fly a couple hours, stop for a bio break and carry on. Life is GOOD!

I am doing all I can as I make mods / updates to include her and think of her comfort..... A leather seat with Oregon Aero foam cushions, and her name embroidered on it. (got a tear jerked out with that) A goose-neck reading light. Hope to get her a Bose headset soon.

I just reserved an N number that includes something meaningful to her. (more tears of happiness) :)

Another vote for the -10

My wife has ridden in the back of an RV-4, and held my hand in the
right seat of a -6A; but to her the RV-10 is in a class by itself.
She loves the comfort, the view, the better ride in turbulence,
and the ability to easily reach the cooler sitting on the back
seat.

She can even tolerate riding in the second row when we have
friends along. The -10 is truely the luxury SUV of the RV line.

- Dan Benua
Repeat Offender

Interesting comments... I think it boils down to the mission of the airplane. If the flight is to be conducted as a "crew", then side by side is the way to go. On the other hand if the wife is only interested in being a passenger on her own airline, then having her own personal space may hold its own appeal. My bride loves the back seat of an 8 or 4. She has her "own" personal space to enjoy her iPod or DVD player, better elbow room, and a great view (out the sides). We have flown both, and the tandem works for us best.

It depends. Patti and I are both tall. A double set of long arms and legs in a 43" wide Vans side-by-side is just a bit too cozy.

The -10 feels wonderful because of the 48" width. An -8 splits that width front and back.

Patti likes the -8. She doesn't care anything about flying it so instrument access is moot. In the old days she spent a few thousand miles with me on bikes. Then came Cubs. Tandem seating is normal.

Minor tip if you like the -8 and plan to send your missus for a test ride....get a booster cushion! Most -8's sit too low in the back seat and ladies feel like they are down in a hole. It doesn't need to be that way.

1. RV-10
  2. RV-12 or RV-9/A or RV-7/A
  3. RV-6
  4. RV-8
  5. RV-4

Both should sit in the various models and try on both seats. You and/or your wife may not like the way your legs have to be spread out with the front seat in the middle when in the back seat of the 8/4. Some folks it doesn't bother others it might.

Bob

From discussions with others in my area, i've concluded that the tandems are the choice for pilots, hands down. The side-by-sides are for pilots who want/need to carry non-pilots. Chances are, if your wife is a pilot, she won't mind the back seat of a tandem aircraft as much. Provided, of course, that you give her a set of controls back there. :)

This seems kind of one sided so I will throw in another for the tandem. My wife and I flew from one end of the country to the other in our 4 and she was very content. She says she doesent like being in the way while I am spreading out maps and such. She prefers her own space, even though its small its hers. Once and a while I would try and talk with her and find her asleep in the back other times she might be reading a book. Its all up to the individual.
Ryan

Thoughts from a Non-builder

-Anyone have the rear seat shoulder width comparisons between the -4 and the -8?
-Can a handheld GPS be mounted to the back of the front seat so that the wife can see where you are, how much more you have to go, etc? Seems like that would be a good way to bring them into the actual flight a bit more.
-It doesn't hold a candle to side by side seating, but it seems that a rearview mirror would do well towards increasing the person-to-person feel of a tandem by being able to see each other.

Seating - cushions, that is, turned out rather important for us. No matter which configuration you choose (BTW, 131RB, this thread is rather one-sided because SBS is the dominate choice in this thread's context!:)) make sure the cushions are really comfortable for her. Some are too soft/hard/squishy/hot/cold, etc, poor angles and structure, too high/low. My wife is sensitive to this and we've had several iterations of custom Oregon Aero cores.

John Siebold

...Can a handheld GPS be mounted to the back of the front seat so that the wife can see where you are, how much more you have to go, etc? Seems like that would be a good way to bring them into the actual flight a bit more...

Pretty sure there's a thread on this subject. Anyway, I'm planning on mounting one of my spare x96 units in back of the -8 just for that purpose. My wife is going through ground school again and even though she really has little desire to "fly" the airplane, I'd like her to at least know how to use the GPS in a jam (and for entertainment).

-Anyone have the rear seat shoulder width comparisons between the -4 and the -8?
-Can a handheld GPS be mounted to the back of the front seat so that the wife can see where you are, how much more you have to go, etc? Seems like that would be a good way to bring them into the actual flight a bit more.
-It doesn't hold a candle to side by side seating, but it seems that a rearview mirror would do well towards increasing the person-to-person feel of a tandem by being able to see each other.

I can't give the measurements but lots of folks mount GPSs for the backseat. We have a 396 in the backseat and put the other plane's XM antenna in for longer trips. It then allows us both to evaluate the weather options and our independent comfort levels with forging on.

Yep, we also have the babywatch mirrors on the -8's rollbar and it contributes a lot to keeping us connected.

Neither attribute can compensate for the disadvantages I see in being a passenger in the back of the tandem, but both certainly help.

Legroom

It depends. Patti and I are both tall. A double set of long arms and legs in a 43" wide Vans side-by-side is just a bit too cozy.

Although I agree with Dan, this is a very personal call. My decision was made at Oshkosh in 2004. My pal Lee and I "tried on airplanes" at Van's booth. For us, the answer was simple, an '8.' The legroom for two tall people was key to the the choice. I haven't heard any complaints.

188397_1758106145251_1016930427_1901129_1932615_n.jpg

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

John, that photo needs to be in the "show us your RV grin" thread.

Or the "women who love to fly" thread.

Heck, both of them.

188397_1758106145251_1016930427_1901129_1932615_n.jpg

Louise,

I normally add the caveat that you and Roberta are specially exempt :D

Merely some tongue in cheek Colonial humour.

If you want the serious reply, I would say a 7 if you are of moderate stature, an 8 if you are of more generous stature.

Previously, I have had Citabrias and before that Champs. Both of them exceptionally roomy. The advantage in those was that I could fly from the back seat as well, not a starter in an 8 unless Doris was well briefed, or indeed a pilot herself.

Mike

The most wife-friendly RV? The one she chooses!

Bill Palmer :)

YOU ARE INDEED A WISE MAN!!

I wanted a Pitts or Eagle. My wife rode in both, and said "lets get an RV". So, guess what I ended up with??
My wife is not a pilot, but is definitely involved as chief navigator (she reads the sectional and runs the GPS better than I), flight attendant, dog holder, etc. She was very explicit that she wanted a S-B-S, and did not want to look at the anterior portions of my balding pate.

"The one she chooses" looks like great advice. My experience differs from most opinions in that my wife is happy in the back seat of a tandem; and she is active in the flight. She flies both front and back seat in the Super Decathlon and will be back seat in the Rocket. I am putting enough in the back seat of the Rocket to keep her an active participant; full GPS etc (hooked into the G600 up front). I personally much prefer tandem so this all works out for me also. But that's what we have worked out; I know a lot of other couples that have it worked out other ways. The most important thing is to get in the air.

My wife is a not a pilot and does not wish to be one. We rode together
side by side for years in our -6. Altough she had her doubts about the
-8A before starting the build, now that we are flying she loves it.
The -8 is more comfortable for average + size folks. Not to mention
the ability of balancing the baggage load with the -8's front and back
baggage compartments. This airplane fits our mission well. YMMV

The only thing better would be a RV-10!

Welcome!

Welcome aboard, John! I've not started (YET) but the factory is taking shape nicely.

I have to say I love Bill Palmer's advice. :D That's how "we" decided on the 10.

Cheers!

Togetherness

My wife really likes our 9a. She would not be able to fly with me if she was not able to instantly grab my thigh very firmly whenever we experience turbulence.

Last edited:
My wife loves the ten. We now don't need a baby sitter if we want to go flying. She often tips the seat back, stretches her legs out and falls asleep. The ride is smooth and we can take most everything we need with us. She also likes the crew option on the audio panel when the kids dont stop chattering( maybe thats me, wish we could do that in the car) We use it travel everywhere and prefer it over commercial even on destinations of over 2000 miles. The ten is the winner for us, but a side by side rv is what she likes best.

Back