What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto pilot on RV8

phi75

Hello
Want to know What do you think to put Dynon Ap 74 module connect to Dynon 180.
Is that good on turbulence? is to fast or to slow give the feedback?

And do you prefer AV20 S attitude backup or Garmin G5 ?

Thanks

I’ve got a D180 and the Dynon autopilot with the HS34 control panel. Works great, wanders slightly during turbulence, altitude hold is solid. You can adjust the sensitivity. I have it tied in with an iFly740 and it tracks the course lines nicely. Tracks a LOC nicely too.

Hello
Want to know What do you think to put Dynon Ap 74 module connect to Dynon 180.
Is that good on turbulence? is to fast or to slow give the feedback?

And do you prefer AV20 S attitude backup or Garmin G5 ?

Thanks

That would be a nice combination. And the AP is tunable to a degree. Mine (D100, AP74) works fair in turbulence. But it's a lot better than hand flying everywhere!

Backup attitude is your personal choice. I use a GDL50 with my Aera 660. Considering upgrading to/adding a D3 maybe.

AV-20 cs G5

Philippe

Like I told you on the phone, it depends what you're planning in the future..

If you're looking at just a Back Up AI, then the G5 will be better as it is bigger and will interface with any future Garmin EFIS you may add ( G3X etc....)

If on the other hand you're looking at the future ADS-B requirement in Canada, then the AV-20 is a better fit because you will only need to add a Tailbeacon X to be compliant ADS-B OUT anywhere in the world, including the USA..saving money and installation time..

But as the owner, the decision is yours..

Bonne chance

Bruno

Back