What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Valve Spring Compressors

AN23

Well Known Member
Started on our IO-360 angle valve valve wobble test today and used our new ATS spring compressor. The unit is adjustable but we spent at least an hour on the first valve trying to get it adjusted where it would compress the spring evenly (i.e. not cocked) so the keepers would come out. We finally managed to get the springs off but then the adjustment that made it right for getting the keepers out was completely wrong for compressing the spring back to get the keepers back in. Think I'm going to send these back and get a "Valve Wizard" Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• B2F9FC38-742B-4E20-90DF-B382D0C11017.jpeg
    B2F9FC38-742B-4E20-90DF-B382D0C11017.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 388
Here is a DIY tool I thought would be a good candidate design. I don't have any dimensions.

Attachments

• Lyc Valve Spring Compressor - DIY.png
    Lyc Valve Spring Compressor - DIY.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,167
Valve Wizzard

This is what I use and I'm at a loss for words how amazing it is :)

http://www.valvewizard.com/

The first time my A&P used it he kept it in lieu of payment as it makes the process so easy.

I recently used it to drop an exhaust valve for inspection and it makes it so easy to get the keepers out and back in. It screws into the head using the rocker screw holes and then you simply screw down the compression on the spring. It's directly inline so the spring goes smoothly in and the keepers pop out easy as can be.

Andy,

Yep, I sent the adjustable one back and ordered the valve wizard for my Lycoming angle valve engine. I thought about it before ordering the other but the "injected molded" generated thoughts that it's plastic and won't hold up. I've since learned better.

Ya it does seem like it might not hold up, but they specifically call out to make sure and use all the screws and tighten them evenly. It seems to be fine after using it a few times. and it's just so EASY. My A&P spent way too long with one of those pivot lever types before we pulled the wizzard out :)

Spring Compressor

.... This is our entry in this discussion, as I tried several different available products
and decided to make this one. I found things I wasn't impressed with on all of them,
and decided to make one I liked. Most were to much trouble to use and had far too many
parts. They dad to be bolted on, or they were somewhat frail and destoned for destruction,
or were ridiculously priced for what you were getting. We had entertained the idea of
manufacturing this product and adding them to our product line, but decided we had
other more pressing items to complete first. I'm not sure if the demand is there to justify
us making and marketing these? Please let us know your thoughts and opinions. Thanks, Allan...:D

photo sharing

Alan,

I gave up on the ATS one and now have a Valve Wizard on order. I'll be interested in seeing how well it holds up since it's an injection molded product. I've loved every product I've bought from your company (especially your magical prop wrench) so I'm sure this one is no different concerning quality and functionality. Many of our engines are coming up to the 4-500 hour mark and morning sickness is becoming a factor. I would have certainly given your product a try if it had been available. One question......will your product work on both parallel and angle valve engines?

Lastly, this is absolutely not a slam against ATS! I have many great products from them and they absolutely stand by their product. Don't like it.....send it back for a full refund......no questions asked.

Last edited:
I could not agree more. Makes the job so easy.

This is what I use and I'm at a loss for words how amazing it is :)

http://www.valvewizard.com/

The first time my A&P used it he kept it in lieu of payment as it makes the process so easy.

I recently used it to drop an exhaust valve for inspection and it makes it so easy to get the keepers out and back in. It screws into the head using the rocker screw holes and then you simply screw down the compression on the spring. It's directly inline so the spring goes smoothly in and the keepers pop out easy as can be.

Valve Wizard is the way to go

Agreed. The thing I like most about the Valve Wizard is once you have the springs compressed, you have both hands free to insert or extract the keepers. A complete no brainier. Our EAA chapter has one I can check out and use, but I'm thinking of getting my own just because it is so easy to use!

I like the look of Allen's product, but it still requires one hand to hold pressure on the springs while you insert/extract keepers with your other hand. Maybe if I tied a rope around it and held it with my foot!!

I could not agree more. Makes the job so easy.

... Actually our tool is on a swing radius, and does push on the retainers on center!
This type of tool will have the keepers, springs, and retainers out of four cylinders
in a fraction of the time required to bolt the other tool onto one cyl. We have built
a lot of engines, and this one works best for us. Also as a side note, this will work
on parallel as will as angle valve configurations, and we were originally going to
market them for about $29. Thanks, Allan...:D

Hey Allan I'll take one at $29.00. Neat looking tool. I like it and universal for both engines is a plus. Let me know when these go into production. As all of the other products you have devised this is a great design.

I built one a few months ago that is very similar to Allan’s and it works like a champ. No, I did not copy his. $29 is an excellent deal. Wish I had known.

Valve Wizard is THE one

Wow, wow, wow!

I just finished up my valve check. After struggling with the typical crow bar valve compressor, I relented and bought a Valve Wizard. Dang, I don't think anything could make the process easier! Highly, highly recommend.

At $29, I also will end up buying one.

I was an early adopter of the Valve Wizard but at the $29 price, it should be faster and I like buying tools.

Not Forgotten!

Allan, whatever became of that "$29 valve spring compressor" you talked about last year?

.... I discovered our prototype actually didn't work well on some of the Lycoming
cylinders. So it went back to the drawing board for some revisions. Due to all that
is currently going on, and the fact that we are very busy it will be a bit of a set-back
on this product. We are still going to produce this tool, but it will be later this year.
We are sorry, and hadn't anticipated the problem that came up.
Thanks, Allan---:eek::D

Allan, whatever became of that "$29 valve spring compressor" you talked about last year?

I made a valve wobble test tool that also compresses the valve spring. Not the best tool for removing a valve, but a very good tool for doing the wobble test, as the fixture both compresses the spring (allowing measurement of valve movement in the guide) and eliminates the need for removing the spring and retainer; though it can be removed. It was modeled off the Lycoming version of the test tool and you can follow the SI instructions for using their tool. I made two and sold the other here. I would be willing to make more if there is interest. I sold the other for $100.

This is for parallel valve engines only.

Last edited:
I am struggling with the exhaust valve springs trying to get the keepers in and out. The Valve Wizard seems to be the best tool, but the price of the tool is outrageous. Has anyone tried this device available at A/C Spruce?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/valvespringcomptool_08-17411.php

It's on Amazon for $3 more..... but free shipping and it is in stock!!

For that price, I would try it. Made in USA. It compresses the spring without being in the way.

Found a great valve spring tool

I wanted to share a great tool discovery for anyone needing to work on the valves.

I tried to make a spring compressor tool out of pry bars. Grind, file, more grinding.. it turned out awful. I threw it away in frustration.

Then I came across the tool pictured. It's Snap-On S-8675. It was made for 1950's truck and tractor engines, but the design is absolutely perfect for the Lycoming valves. Very heavy, well made, forged steel tool. And it doesn't cost the crazy amounts being charged for valve spring tools, such as on A/C Spruce. It worked great - highly recommended!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20230408_092006.jpg
    IMG_20230408_092006.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 98
Another recommendation

I've tried using a p/n 12-21520 tool but had difficulty on some cyls because you need a short enough pivot pin to get it in there past obstructions on the baffle. Had better luck with two P/N 12-03227 which attach using existing rocker cover / baffle attach holes. They're designed for rocker shaft removal using one on each spring but I made them work for getting the retainers out on a single spring by putting two on opposite sides of a spring. That les me compress the spring evenly, and keep it in without needing a third hand. I did end up getting a couple of full-thread hex head bolts to use in place of the ones with the knurled knobs as those tend to get in the way. YMMV, just an alternative to offer.

Last edited:
Back