What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally took my RV-8 up today!

colojo

Well Known Member
After a two-month hiatus caused by Covid-19 concerns, unsettled and windy weather, and the need to get my condition inspection done, the stars finally aligned today and I got to fly!

I only took one picture, but it's a beauty, of Point Reyes National Seashore about 30 miles NW of San Francisco.

IMG_7226-XL.png

Here's my flight track... I was going counterclockwise:

Screen%20Shot%202020-06-08%20at%2012.31.18%20PM-XL.png

We have several days of ideal weather in the forecast, so I hope to get a lot more flying in this week.

Nice getting back in the air isn't it? I had a chance to go up for the first time last week after almost 90 days, missed having to do a quick checkride with an instructor for insurance reasons in the club plane. Actually was the first renter to fly since the entire lockdown ended.

Nice photo, that's one of my favorite areas to visit. And I get sent south of there for work once a year, which I look forward to.

Nice shot pretty scenery Joe thanks! Great motivation. I can’t believe I can reach the Pacific and be back home for dinner the same day. :)

Joe, you circled the lighthouse and no picture?? You passed over San Quinton and again no picture?? Then a straight in to O69...... bad boy.

I flew in from Redding at 12:55 local and got hammered over Lake county. I have flown that same loop many times. If you fly over Inverness to Olema, low and slow, you can see the San Andraius fault by the sudden off set of fence lines.

I have to wait till I install ADSB out to do that loop again........ but I sure enjoyed it in the past.

Last edited:
Warren,

I tried to get a shot of the lighthouse but dropped my iPhone. I don't have a permanent camera mount in my RV.

Same with San Quentin. My iPhone was lost somewhere on the floor and I didn't think it prudent to search for it mid flight while solo.

As for the straight-in approach, I was in constant radio contact with two other pilots in the pattern and the three of us made it work, to everyone's satisfaction.

I did not build my plane; I bought it from a very competent builder.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited:
Back