What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust stain removal

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
The thread on waxing got me to thinking about needing to clean the belly of my plane again. I generally do it two or three times a year and the time is coming up again. The job usually goes pretty quick in removing any dirt and oil residue but the exhaust residue from the 100LL is a real pain to get off. What are you guys using to easily remove exhaust residue?

Simple Green....full strength.

I know, I know....it'll rot my airplane and the pieces will fall out of the sky.

I spray it on a square foot area, rub off the exhaust residue and rinse with clean water. It's on a painted surface so I'm not concerned about it penetrating skin joints in the few moments it's on the paint. No damage seen in the nearly twenty years I've been cleaning the belly.

If it isn't too bad just plain old car wax will work.
We used Solvoil (the stuff you would have in a parts washer) on the exhaust shields of the T-28. That stain of fuel and oil baked on by the 1400 degree exhaust flame was impervious to everything else on the face of the earth short of dynamite. Some guys used Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and brillo pads which worked but took several applications to get it all but it wiped right off in one shot with the parts washer solvent.
I see somebody else suggested mineral spirits. I have used that on other aircraft and it works too. Clean exhaust staining with that then do a quick wax to remove the swirls and remaining mineral spirits residue.

I used mineral spirits on painted fiberglass and fabric with good results.

But, the absolute best I found is Aerocosmetics Belly Soap. Spray it on, rub it in with your fingers (gloved or bare). Then, let it set for a minute or two, and wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel. Repeat.

09-02518a.jpg

I have had good luck with a product called Release. Used to buy it at Oshkosh to avoid the shipping costs, but ACS carries it now.:)

Simple Green

I?m in the Sam Buchanan camp on this one. Stuff is freaking mystical in my experience.

Jet Stream Aviation Power Foam. Turbine ag plane owners use it all the time for exhaust soot stains.

IMG_0681-e1406900765340.jpg

Ethanol and clean rags.
I am not sure why but Ethonal is very effective at putting whatever chemical soup gets deposited from the exhaust into solution. I soak some up in a rag and simply wipe it off.
I have tried many of the other solutions mentioned here but have found Ethanol to be the fastest and easiest. Seems to not harm the paint finish and evaporates slowly enough to be effective but doesn?t require any post cleaning or leave any residue.
Wipe on, wipe off. A quart will last you for some time.

Regular GoJo hand cleaner (not Pumice or Orange)
Slather it on, have a coffee, wipe it off. Easy on the paint and your hands.

George

"Extreme" Simple Green

Works great, smells nice too. AND one need not worry 'bout parts falling off...!

Charlie

Just like in the waxing thread, I use the same Mothers waterless wash and shine, comes right off, oil, soot, ect. Bugs are always the hard one.

Back