What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroLED light breaker sizes

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I'm refreshing my electrical drawings and digging into some of the more specific details around breaker size and VPX pin allocation. I'm going with a pair of AeroLED Pulsar NS and a Suntail for Nav lights and strobes. Then I'm using a pair of AeroLED VX for taxi/landing/recog. I will also use the VPX to control wigwag, which essentially means each Landing Light is wired to it's own VPX pin.

Strobes - The AeroLED website essentially says peak 10 amp .19 for the strobes. The VPX manual says allocate 2 amps per strobe. So plan is a single 10A breaker (6A estimated draw).

Navlights - AeroLED states essentially .4A per light with the VPX manual saying .5A. Going with the highest I'm calling it 1.5A and putting it on a 2A breaker.

Taxilight - Again this one is straight forward, the AeroLED site says a combined pull of 3.4A so putting that on a 5A breaker.

Landing Lights - This is where it gets a bit confusing. To utilize the VPX to control the wig-wag I'll put each on a separate power pin and separate breaker. The datasheet on the site says a draw of 8.6A combined for a pair. That would put each at about 4.3A per light. So would think I could put each on their own 5A breaker.

Would love to hear from people who have used the same lights and what size breakers they used. I read through AC43.13 Chapter 11, I had though there was some margin you wanted to build in but didn't see anything in there about that. Thanks,

Justin,

You likely already know the breakers are present to protect the wires but your method of planning is how most approach the problem. I am not using a VP-X but sized my fuses with the same logic. I have a few old-school breakers for select items, as well.

Your planning looks correct to me with slightly higher rated breakers based on loads. Also plan for appropriate wire sizes for the load and length.

Thanks for the feedback. I will also have a few regular CBs as well. With the Airflow system I have a 10A breaker for the compressor and a 25A for the larger evaporator. Can't see any reason to run these through the VPX. I'll know pretty quick if the AC isn't going!

Justin,
I have the same setup you have but in my 9A. I will check what my settings are tomorrow when I get to the hangar. Send aeroleds an email - they are very responsive to questions. I am lucky to have the option of just stopping by and getting questions answered.

Justin,
One of the advantages of the VPX is the ability to both read the dynamic load as well as update the "breaker" rating in the software.
As an example as I was wiring, I was able to power circuits through the VPX with my computer hooked up (the feed to the PFD will take this duty once installed) and read the current draw directly. A few key taps and I was able to reset the breaker rating if needed.

You just have to make sure items are assigned to pins with the needed amperage rating in the VPX configurator.

Remember as you are doing this, the breaker is there to protect the wire, not the appliance. You can set the breakers to the max allowable for the wire given the size and length and back it down later in the VPX if you would like.

Strobes - The AeroLED website essentially says peak 10 amp .19 for the strobes. The VPX manual says allocate 2 amps per strobe. So plan is a single 10A breaker (6A estimated draw).

Navlights - AeroLED states essentially .4A per light with the VPX manual saying .5A. Going with the highest I'm calling it 1.5A and putting it on a 2A breaker.

Taxilight - Again this one is straight forward, the AeroLED site says a combined pull of 3.4A so putting that on a 5A breaker.

Landing Lights - This is where it gets a bit confusing. To utilize the VPX to control the wig-wag I'll put each on a separate power pin and separate breaker. The datasheet on the site says a draw of 8.6A combined for a pair. That would put each at about 4.3A per light. So would think I could put each on their own 5A breaker.

Would love to hear from people who have used the same lights and what size breakers they used. I read through AC43.13 Chapter 11, I had though there was some margin you wanted to build in but didn't see anything in there about that. Thanks,
I use a 5A circuit for the Nav lights, but you can use smaller. Yesterday I was checking and saw a <.5Amp draw when on (VP-X).
The Strobes draw about 4.6, but not a steady draw. A 7.5-10A breaker is best here.
The taxi lights should be a 10A circuit, although you could probably use a 5A.
Landing lights each on a 10A would be wise.

For wire size I use a 3-conductor 18AWG wire for the Nav/Strobe set with a 20AWG separate wire for sync. For the taxi & landing sets I use the same, but use the 3rd conductor for sync and ground in the wingtip.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm going to go back and rework some of my assignments in the VPX planner. Problem is I have a lot of things connecting up to this device. I'll have to move some stuff around to free up 10A rated breakers in the right banks, ie Landing lights in Bank A and Taxi in Bank B.

I had bundled the AP Servos together with all three going to the same VPX pin at 10A. I think I'll be able to free enough 5A's to put them on their own.

VPX Outputs

There are 32 power outputs on the VPX Pro. If you run short of outputs, you can extend individual outputs by adding small blade fuse holders, or a small CB buss.

After all of the bits and pieces came together I ended up with around 40 individual circuits that needed power leads. Where I had a number of similar items, like interior lighting, I ran a single VPX output to a small blade fuse holder and broke out to the individual items there.

I would also suggest leaving a few outputs in reserve for later. While designing the power and data wire harness, I found that the GTN650 has three separate power inputs (NAV/COM/GPS). After I rearranged the VPX outputs to give three power feeds, I was able to ask Garmin how those are typically connected. He told me, most people attach all three to one breaker. Moral to the story, as far as I am concerned, is to leave a few power outputs available for the surprises that will come along later.

Hi Justin,

I'd be happy to review your configuration if you want to send in a request for review through the online planner. Most AC systems can't be run through the VP-X because of the amperage required.

Happy to help and give you feedback.

Cheers,

Back