What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DSUB PIN INSERTION

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

Today I started building the harnesses required for my Skyview Autopilot and Knob panels.

I cripped the pins using my pin cripper I bought from Stein which has served me well so far.

The problem started once I tried inserting the pins in the DSUB...The pins just wouldn't lock in place, regardless on how hard I pushed them in...The DSUB are also from Stein so they should be good quality..

Any trick or idea on what I could do...never had this problem before ??:confused:

Thanks

Bruno

Hello Gents

Today I started building the harnesses required for my Skyview Autopilot and Knob panels.

I cripped the pins using my pin cripper I bought from Stein which has served me well so far.

The problem started once I tried inserting the pins in the DSUB...The pins just wouldn't lock in place, regardless on how hard I pushed them in...The DSUB are also from Stein so they should be good quality..

Any trick or idea on what I could do...never had this problem before ??:confused:

Thanks

Bruno

Do you have, and are you using, the D-sub pin insertion/extraction tool?

Try the tool but I've never had to use an insertion tool for pins/sockets on 22AWG wires or larger. I know this is a no-brainer but insure your trying insert the pins into a male DSUB and not a female DSUB which is for sockets. Also double check that you didn't crimp on a High-density sized pin by mistake.

Pins insertion

Hello Gents

Thank you for the feedbacks..

I did make sure that I wasn't using HD pins vs LD pins and that I was using the proper cripper adapter.
I never had to use the insertion tool before to insert the pins in the DSub but that is what I will try next..I have a few here...

Thanks again, I will report back the results

Bruno
[email protected]

TIP: I've been told to dip the pin in rubbing alcohol before inserting to provide a bit of fast drying lubrication.

Dsub Pin Crimping and Insertion

First of all, be sure you are crimping the end of the pin, usually near the orange paint ring. The larger diameter metal belt a little closer to the center of the pin holds the pin into the connector, and should not be crimped. After crimping, tug on the wire to be sure it's firmly crimped into the pin. Check the proper pin location in the connector a few times, and then insert the pin into the DSub connector by gently pushing the wire in from the backside until you feel the pin snap into place. You can also use the red end of the insertion-removal tool to push the pin into place. The pin should remain in place in the connector after gently tugging on the wire. If it doesn't remain in place, then the wire was improperly crimped or you are using the wrong pins or connectors.

Last edited:
Back