What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Search for IFR Designated Examiner

JVolkober

Well Known Member
I am looking for assistance in finding a designated examiner for my IFR check ride.

I am wrapping up my IFR training in an RV9. My instructor and I are looking for a designated examiner who will do the check ride in an experimental aircraft with a glass panel all electric aircraft - no steam gauges. Looking for recommendations, best locally in the Portland, Oregon area but I am willing to travel. Have considered the possibility of looking in the San Francisco Bay area from where I recently moved.

John

DPE

http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp

I'm on the opposite side of the country so I can't personally recommend one in your area. I'd search for one nearby and give them a call to see if they are willing. If not, they could probably refer you to a fellow DPE that would. I'm sure you'll find one that would be ok with it.

Good luck on the checkride!

Ben

Solid Bozeman option

John,

I flew a couple hours to Bozeman, MT for my check ride in an RV a couple years ago. Totally worth it. Some data here - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=107771

I can send more info via email, if interested. Please PM or email your address. While this option isn't super close for you either, it was nothing other than a professional DPE experience with a highly experienced glider/ mtn flyer. Not too significant of a distance in the RV9! :D

There is no way I can get flight check with my tandem seat rocket and thus I have taken my "rides" in a Red Bird simulator. It is configured as a 172, which is fine with me. Basically the ride is about systems, both the airplanes and the IFR system itself. If you know your stuff the ride should not be a problem in the simulator. I paid $600 Cdn, with tax. That got me two one hour "flights" with an instructor, one to two hours of briefing with the instructor, then over an hour of "IFR simulator" check ride flight with the examiner and at least an hour and a half with the examiner going over flight planning, emergienceis etc. It was a long but interesting day.
Over three hours of flight with my airplane would have used up a lot of fuel, and I would have still had to pay the examiners time.
I think I likely saved money by going the simulator route. Although it was my only real option, short of renting a 172, I feel it was, from a learning approach, the best option.
If sweat and anxiety are indicators of reality, this was pretty close!

It's probably too far for you to travel, but next week (weather permitting) I'll be taking an instrument checkride in my 9A with a local examiner. Just met with him last night, in fact, to chat and fly a quick familiarization flight. He grew up around experimental aircraft and didn't seem at all nervous to fly in a well-built all-glass RV. PM if you'd like more info. We've also got extra bedrooms if you need an RV hotel.

There is no way I can get flight check with my tandem seat rocket and thus I have taken my "rides" in a Red Bird simulator. It is configured as a 172, which is fine with me. Basically the ride is about systems, both the airplanes and the IFR system itself. If you know your stuff the ride should not be a problem in the simulator. I paid $600 Cdn, with tax. That got me two one hour "flights" with an instructor, one to two hours of briefing with the instructor, then over an hour of "IFR simulator" check ride flight with the examiner and at least an hour and a half with the examiner going over flight planning, emergienceis etc. It was a long but interesting day.
Over three hours of flight with my airplane would have used up a lot of fuel, and I would have still had to pay the examiners time.
I think I likely saved money by going the simulator route. Although it was my only real option, short of renting a 172, I feel it was, from a learning approach, the best option.
If sweat and anxiety are indicators of reality, this was pretty close!

That's interesting. Here in the US, you can't take an instrument checkride using an AATD which is what technically the Redbirds are vs a true flight sim.

According the Instrument PTS, "An airman applicant for instrument rating certification is authorized to use a full flight simulator (FFS) qualified by the National Simulator Program as levels A–D and/or a flight training device (FTD) qualified by the National Simulator Program as levels 4–7 to complete certain flight TASK requirements listed in this practical test standard."

My understanding for this rationale is that according to the FAA AATDs can't adequately simulate circle-to-land maneuvers or unusual attitudes, both of which are PTS requirements.

Last edited:
Renton WA

I suggest you get a hold of Howard Wolvington www.flywithhoward.com in the Seattle area. He is a DPE and also did all of my IFR training in my RV-9A. He is an excellent instructor and busy DPE.

If Howard can't do it due to scheduling he has a list of DPE's in the area that are willing to do exams in experimentals.

Back