What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Mini & which software?

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Merry Christmas to all and especially to Doug and his family for putting up such a killer website! Having raised two boys, I enjoy reading about Audrey's progress and am glad this website helps put her through college so I am doubling my donation for 2014.

My wife gave me an IPAD mini for Christmas without the cellular and said she wasn't sure which one to get and said I could exchange for the right one (no wonder we're still married after 32 years). So my question is about the cellular models. Are these the ones with the built in GPS for use in flight to pick up weather, moving map sectionals, etc? Does it matter which cell company version I get? I have Sprint for cell service on my phone, is there an advantage to getting a Sprint version? How big a hard drive do I really need?

Secondly, which is the best inflight software to use and what are the yearly fees? I have heard a LOT of guys use Foreflight, Garmin has the Mobile Flight Deck, and there are several others. If I fly cross country I go VFR so that is my primary focus. I can fly VFR or IFR but in an RV-4 there is not a lot of room for paper charts. Any suggestions??

A happy 2014 to all and congrats to all the new RV builders that got their planes up this year.
Oly

Last edited:
choices...

Based on my experiences and what I currently have...

iPad mini retina WITH cell service - includes a very good GPS receiver. The current cell models, mini retina and iPad air, use consolidated carrier chips that can support all of the prominent carriers by changing the SIM card. The only difference when you buy one is which SIM card is installed.

T-mobile service provides 200M of FREE data without any strings each month and allows you to buy additional data when actually needed.

16Gig is plenty of space unless you want to warehouse lots photos / video / music... I have a good chunk of aviation charts and lots of programs with a smattering of photos and music and still have 3Gig free to manage content. Apple charges too much for the ram upgrades and the turn in credit is about nothing for extra ram.

I use Foreflight. It is great and is quite reasonable at 80/year or so.

I have had an iPad 1, 3, 4 and currently we have an iPad air and the retina mini... when upgrading I have used Nextworth.com to trade in the old units for cash.

Search the threads for more info.

1. You will need a cellular version in order to get the built in GPS. You can buy an external one (such as a bad elf) but..

2. You do not need to activate the cellular service, unless you wish to get data other than wifi.

3. Doesn't matter what carrier, but I chose ATT as that was my cell phone carrier.

4. I use WingX Pro. Everything I need. Others use Foreflight and love it. All of them let you do a 30 day free trial so you can decide what you like.

5. Memory: 32 GB is plenty for me. Unless you wish to store tons of music or video I think you will find it sufficient for you.

Don

Merry Christmas Oly!

I have an ipad 2 with 64MB and my wife has an ipad 2 with 16MB.

She doesnt download movies and has pleanty of space.

I on the otherhand have many documents on my ipad, including a full worldwide subsciption to JeppView (for work). So I would not be able to have a 16 or 32MB ipad.

For the RV we both use Foreflight and sonce we have the Cellular option we both get GPS flight following. We are foreflight diehards and wouldnt switch to Garmin.

But, if I did switch to Garmin I could enjoy ADSb wx and traffic since I do have a GDL39 onboard (via bluetooth). So that is one thing to remember when deciding foreflight, Garmin, wingX, etc...

The thing about the cellular is first without it you dont get GPS. The other thing is although you do not need to sign up for the cellular service it is nice to know you could always sign up for 1 month if you needed it in an emergency.

Good luck!

I do not have a mini, but I suspect it really does not matter which one as long as it has the GPS.

We have two Ipads, a 1, and a 2. The 1 is running SkyCharts Pro, the 2 is running Garmin Pilot. Both are cellular with built in GPS, neither has cell service activated.

SkyCharts is much simpler for me to use, but Garmin Pilot does more. Weather and pop up TFR info are very nice.

I chose the Garmin Pilot after flying with a buddy who had it, and was impressed that he could get weather updates while in flight, using only the built in cell service. I also like the VFR maps that Garmin uses.

BUT---------For most of my flying, I prefer the SkyCharts--------just so much easier to use.

Hope this helps, as it is all just my opinion.

Ditto Cfiidon, post #3, each point. I'm on the 3-year plan and subscribe to the fuel prices option.

I also have SkyCharts Pro, with less features and somewhat better resolution. I like it too.

I've got something like 13 gigs left so with both of these the 16 gig version might be just a bit short. I do have all the U.S. charts for the lower 48 on both programs.

On WingX, I've found that the cellular data connection gives me real-time weather while flying. Haven't used it enough since I found that out to assess its reliability, but it's been nice to have - no XM, no ADS-B, just the ATT data plan.

Dave

Verizon

I've had Verizon for many years. A few months ago I upgraded my iPhone and they combined my data plan for the iPad with my cell service and saved me some money. I've been all over the country and found very few problems with Verizon. I use Foreflight and really enjoy the features. Not sure what else you'd need, but I'm sure the others have comparable features.

My iPad is a full size unit. The mini would be perfect for the RV.

Good luck and enjoy the new toy!!

To add to the above post. Check before you decide on the carrier if your current cell provider will bundle the ipad into your cell data. Normally it's 10.00 a month at most companies to do that. Version and I think a few other companies are offering a 100.00 dollar discount if you purchase a ipad from them and bundle it for two years. Brings the cost down to 140.00 for two years of data.
George

None Cellular

I have been using my mini for a month or so now and really like it, I went with the 64G version as this seems to be overkill. I had been using a 8G Samsung which I liked but the Garmin Pilot App would run slow if I have a lot of charts and approach plates loaded, this would only leave me a gig left.

I went with the non cell mini since I did not want another plan and really don't need cell service on it. I have the GDL 39, so in flight it sends GPS position to the mini as well as all the weather and traffic info you can get via ADS-B.

I have had a need for cellular data when I wanted to look something up in the hangar, I just turn my hotspot on my iPhone and link it to the mini and I have all the data I need. This would also work inflight and I believe it also sends GPS information. I am sure the built in GPS might be better but so far this has handled my needs.

I love Garmin Pilot, I have not used Fore Flight except on my iPhone since they chose not to support Android market with the full version. I was just on an instrument flight yesterday, the charts are handy and very readable, I use a Ram Mount device built for the Mini.

One of the reasons I went to the iPad mini is there is just more support for App on Apple products. I love the Retina display.

Merry Christmas.

If you go with a Stratus, Skyradar, or other ADSB & GPS receiver plus the appropriate software, you don't need built in GPS in the iPad.

I've been happy with Skyradar + WingX + 32 GB iPad Mini (no GPS).

I have had a Mini ver. 1.0 for a year. 16gb At&t so built in GPS, cell service never used, either wifi or just tether to my cellphone when needed. Basically only use it in the cockpit. Plenty of performance and storage space for me. Full size iPad was too big for me to yoke mount comfortably in my Arrow. Compared the mini to the Air when it came out, the reduced footprint but full size screen is the way I would go these days, but could not justify the cost to upgrade just yet. 50/50 on whether I would get a gps version, as I really do have a lot of independently powered gps receivers starting to pile up in the airplane.

For software I use WingX since my airplane partners were already using it and it was nice to ask experienced users questions. No complaints. I would utilize the free trial they all have and see if one or another jumps out as a definite yes or no for your personal use, but it is really hard to go wrong with any of them.

Storage matters

I agree with pretty much everybody else is saying with one exception. Don't get anything with less than 32 gig of memory. I have the first gen Ipad Mini with 16 gig and am always removing stuff from it to get the latest download for Foreflight or FlyQ (I have both actually). I also have Xavion installed (something every pilot should have IMO) and it takes up some serious space. Finally I use dropbox to sync my photos from all of my I-Devices (Ipad, Iphone) and it uses up various amounts of space. So, if you have the option do at least 32 gig.

Merry Christmas all!

16 gb mini with 3g and foreflight pro

I switched to the mini, just a better fit in the rv cockpit. Mine is not mounted, have it in a case and just leave on my right thigh. 16 gb is fine, but 32 would be better.

Foreflight is awesome and i upgraded to pro to get geo ref. ifr approch charts, which are incredible for ifr work.

Very happy with it. I have att wireless on so my emails are always up to date and foreflight can get weather/brief/file right up until takeoff.

Go for the cellular model!

Based on my experiences and what I currently have...

iPad mini retina WITH cell service - includes a very good GPS receiver. The current cell models, mini retina and iPad air, use consolidated carrier chips that can support all of the prominent carriers by changing the SIM card. The only difference when you buy one is which SIM card is installed.

T-mobile service provides 200M of FREE data without any strings each month and allows you to buy additional data when actually needed...

What he said!

I used a wifi-only ipad2 and then wifi-only mini with an external Bluetooth GPS for the past few years. That combo did the job, but had its drawbacks. Namely, issues at times due to GPS unit itself (had to send it back for a new one), the connection (due to an iOS issue that I discovered after a couple months of frustration), or simply remembering to charge/have it with me.

With the above free data offer from T-Mobile, I finally broke down and got a cellular ipad mini retina -- totally worth it. With free data "for the life of the device," sure seems worth the extra $130 and not having to fuss with an external unit. Plus, now I can easily file/brief using ForeFlight from the iPad when ready in the hangar (instead having to do that on my iphone and separately program the route on the ipad). PIREP -- the 200mb free data offer worked as advertised when I set up the account earlier this month.

You can get any carrier's model, but the T-Mo one comes with the SIM card you need to get easily set up for their (free) offer.;) The 32gb model has allowed all the map data I could ever need, plus room for any extra photos, movies, etc.

Hope all that helps you decide which is best for you!

FltPlan Go app for great FREE VOR moving maps, etc. Built in GPS has worked great for me for past 3 years. It is really nice to have when using the iPad in the car with moving maps or in a foreign country.

ForeFlight or the Aopa EFB are both great for IFR geo referenced approach plates.

Merry Christmas to all and especially to Doug and his family for putting up such a killer website! Having raised two boys, I enjoy reading about Audrey's progress and am glad this website helps put her through college so I am doubling my donation for 2014.

My wife gave me an IPAD mini for Christmas without the cellular and said she wasn't sure which one to get and said I could exchange for the right one (no wonder we're still married after 32 years). So my question is about the cellular models. Are these the ones with the built in GPS for use in flight to pick up weather, moving map sectionals, etc? Does it matter which cell company version I get? I have Sprint for cell service on my phone, is there an advantage to getting a Sprint version? How big a hard drive do I really need?

Secondly, which is the best inflight software to use and what are the yearly fees? I have heard a LOT of guys use Foreflight, Garmin has the Mobile Flight Deck, and there are several others. If I fly cross country I go VFR so that is my primary focus. I can fly VFR or IFR but in an RV-4 there is not a lot of room for paper charts. Any suggestions??

A happy 2014 to alland congrats to all the new RV builders that got their planes up this year.
Oly

Go for iPad with inbuilt GPS (ie the cellular model). As said above, apart from aviation I sometimes use iPad for car nav, and to have to take and pair a separate bluetooth GPS is a nuisance, not to mention makingsure the separate bluetooth GPS battery is charged.
So much more convienient with inbuilt GPS.
I have a 16gb ipad mini, and am now running up against the memory limit, as I have some extra documents stored on the ipad. 16gb is enough if you are disciplined, but 32 would be more comfortable, especially as the nav programs here are adding more and more map options that are tempting.
John

I can't believe nobody has mentioned running Air Navigation Pro.

One-time fee to purchase, and free ground and airspace data for all of North America. No annual fees. No mandatory subscriptions. The option is there to pay for official charts, if you find what is given isn't adequate. So far, for VFR flight, I haven't needed anything else.

Available on both Android and iOS, too. I run it on both my Android phone and my iOS iPad. 2nd gen, 64GB, cellular version. As someone else pointed out, the cell versions are not locked to any one carrier, chosing a carrier just tells whoever you're buying it from which SIM card to include with the purchase. You don't have to use it. And you don't need to pay for a data plan when you buy one.

I'd recommend a 32GB iPad at least. The price difference to upgrade memory at purchase is small compared to the hassle of running out of space later. I am now at 42GB used of my 64GB, a lot of it is aviation programs or publications. I've tried Garmin Pilot (useless in Canada), ForeFlight (unacceptably expensive in Canada), SkyCharts Pro (nice, but annual fee for the program), and keep coming back to Air Navigation Pro.

Screenshots:
http://www.xample.ch/air-navigation/air-navigation-screenshots/

Oly,

I live in the St. Louis area and would suggest ATT. While I was playing airline pilot I never had a problem with using my iphone for quick looks at the radar. The network is good around us, especially compared to others in rural areas and the LTE service is fast. I've tethered my ipad mini to it more than once so I didn't have to squint at the smaller phone screen while sitting out delays or commuting to work. I've had the same provider since it was bell south mobile and have never had a reason to change.

Phil

my setup

Recent purchase was a Stratus2, pretty amazing. I also have Foreflight of course and they seriously suggest 32gig Ipad. I have a mini (RV4) on a kneepad and it is a 4G (Verizon) with full GPS. Very happy with this setup.

I have used Skycharts pro and find it very useful and cheap, especially in Canada in the summer. Foreflight Canada too expensive.

One more thing, Stratus has a Horizon app which I run on my iPhone.... it is really something. Very smooth, accurate and FREE!

IPad Human Factors

I'm a 6 foot guy who is (always) planning to lose weight. I used an original IPad with Foreflight in my -8A and found that while the operational capability was awsome, the human factors part was not.
I'm left handed so used the IPad with a Sporty's kneeboard on my left knee. I eventually got used to the tight fit, but found the touch screen very susceptable to undesired inputs that inadvertantly got me into unwanted modes I didn't even know existed!

Have now purchased an IPad mini which seems to work a lot better.

Foreflight Pro gives you everything you need.

Back