What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Update on my RV-6 after the fire. Pictures.

If there was an earlier post as to the cause of the fire I must have missed it. Was it a structure fire or the plane that caught fire?

Glad your getting it repaired.

Boy Richard, looking REALLY nice. I definitely think you should call your -6 "The Phoenix".

One question. What effects, if any, did the heat of the fire have on the airframe's aluminum? Any concerns there??

Regards,

Good Job

Nice Job Richard,
I love the Red, White, Blue and Black.......
They seem to go together nicely!

Richard,

Man you're doing a great job! Keep up the hard work, it looks like its paying off. Paint job scheme is fantastic!!!!

-Jeff

I was very concerned about the state of the aluminum after the fire. I thought I had a pile of junk. I ended up bringing it to a testing facility, Lawrence Ripak, I think was the name. They do all kinds of aircraft metal testing. They were testing F18 bulkheads when I was there. They tested all the skins on the entire aircraft and told me the temper of the aluminum was uneffected by the fire.

Richard,

This should be cut down and resized to be your avatar:

32.jpg

I just about cried when I saw that! Calling my insurance agent now....:D

Richard, Great job on the cleanup and paint. It looks awesome!!

Absolutely, Beautiful! You are really a trooper to get it back together. I don't know if I would have the Stamina to recover.

How did this fire start?

Fire

My plane was in a friend's hanger. He was doing me a favor and let me use his hanger which was large. He moved his plane into another friends hanger. He had a moped that he used to run around the airport. He was playing with the battery in it for a couple of days trying to get it to start. One night he put it away and it must have shorted out and the moped went up in flames. It caused the gas in an ultralight trike to go and the trike and moped burn't furiously in the corner of the building. I was just the heat in the upper half of the building that got my plane and of course the smoke which was by far the worst thing.

Back