What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Baud Rate

Andrew Anunson

Well Known Member
Has anybody set their G3X baud rate to 9600 for the Artex 345 ELT?

Artex states it only accepts 9600 with "Aviation protocol"... but does it also accept NMEA 9600 (the G3X can output NMEA at 4800 or 9600)?

Thanks,
Andrew

Has anybody set their G3X baud rate to 9600 for the Artex 345 ELT?

Artex states it only accepts 9600 with "Aviation protocol"... but does it also accept NMEA 9600 (the G3X can output NMEA at 4800 or 9600)?

Thanks,
Andrew

The artex 345 can only be configured at the factory for either NMEA 4800 or aviation 9600. Have you confirmed which yours is? The units sent to ACS are typically configured for aviation 9600. Some dealers can make the change, but not ACS, as they go through an intermediate dealer. The G3X won't provide aviation output, only NMEA. I had to take it off the 430.

Larry

Last edited:
The artex 345 can only be configured at the factory for either NMEA 4800 or aviation 9600. Have you confirmed which yours is? The units sent to ACS are typically configured for aviation 9600. The G3X won't provide aviation output, only NMEA. I had to take it off the 430.

Larry

Hello Larry, thanks for the reply. Mine is 9600, and you are correct, the G3X does not output Aviation protocol.

Has anyone "tried it", to see if the Artex 345 accepts NMEA at 9600? If it only accepts "Aviation Protocol" (which is Garmin specific), then how could it work with a certified Avidyne navigator (which I think it does work with)?

A different 406 ELT (ACK) accepts 9600 "Aviation Protocol" as well as NMEA at 9600. Perhaps the Artex does too.

Called Artex on the phone...

Ok, so I called Artex on the phone.... the technician stated that Artex 345, set to 9600, will work for NMEA 9600 as well as Aviation Protocol 9600.

This is not in agreement with their manual... but this is what he said.

Ok, so I called Artex on the phone.... the technician stated that Artex 345, set to 9600, will work for NMEA 9600 as well as Aviation Protocol 9600.

This is not in agreement with their manual... but this is what he said.

Make sure you test it. That is NOT what they told me when I called. Also not what the manual says. More than moderately suspicious. This would not be the first time that someone was given bad data. Also, I do not believe that AVIATION is a Garmin format. Pretty sure it is an industry standard. It is supported on my GRT and the Dynon before that.

Larry

Last edited:
Make sure you test it. That is NOT what they told me when I called. Also not what the manual says.

Yeah, somewhat suspicious here too and do plan to test.

Evidence that the Artex manual may be wrong is that other brands of ELT read several different formats of data at 9600 baud. Nobody except Artex specifies "only" Aviation Protocol at 9600. The GPS 196, 296, 396... they all output NMEA 9600. So if the Artex only reads NMEA 4800 OR Aviation 9600, well then how could it ever work with a Garmin 196?

We'll see...

Back