What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy thickness

I did a quick search but havent found the answer. Does anyone know the canopy i.e. the plexiglass thickness on the rv 8 or rv4. Before it is stretched. Thx

Plexiglass

Hi flybynight55

I can't tell you what it is today but a few years back ( 2015 ) when I bought my new canopy from Todd Silver (R.I.P. ) Todd told me that Aeroplastics (They build the canopies for Vans ) used a .175 of an inch. Plexi sheet and Todd was using a .225 of an inch.. Plexi sheet at the time with the option of a darker color.

I love my Todd's ..

Hoping that it answered your question..

A+

Bruno

Last edited:
Hi flybynight55

I can't tell you what it is today but a few years back ( 2015 ) when I bought my new canopy from Todd Silver (R.I.P. ) Todd told me that Aeroplastics (They build the canopies for Vans ) used a 175 mm. Plexi sheet and Todd was using a 225 mm. Plexi sheet at the time with the option of a darker color.

Bruno

Are you sure it was mm and not thousandths of an inch? There isn’t even a missing decimal point that would make those numbers make sense for plexi thickness for a canopy.

I know not answering Op's original question however for comparison the RV-14 front canopy is .187 of an inch. The current manufacture says this measurement can vary +/- 10% with the extrusion process.

The back window of the RV-14 is .125".

I know not answering Op's original question however for comparison the RV-14 front canopy is .187 of an inch. The current manufacture says this measurement can vary +/- 10% with the extrusion process.

Recognizing that this is an old post, that observation is interesting.
Is it intended to imply that extruded (as opposed to cast) acrylic is used for those canopies?

I'm curious, because i have blown test canopies in extruded, and am trying to discover if anyone actually uses the material "for real"?

Believe me, i've done the homework. don't need a rehash from people who have no personal experience, but i am at a point where it would be interesting to hear how a canopy formed/blown from extruded held up.

The primary objection seems to be that extruded is more difficult to form. (not an issue.) In use the objection is that extruded is softer, and hence more prone to scratching. this is where i wonder if anyone has ever used it and can comment. Otherwise, extruded is slightly tougher/slightly less prone to cracking. It might be less expensive for some sizes.

thanks!
smt

Back