What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel material thickness

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
What AL and thickness did you guys use?

Id like to have flush machine screws for mounting so im thinking 0.060” csk instead of dimpling. But, is that adequate for mounting EFIS?

I have used counter sink screws on most panels I’ve fabricated. .063 plate is plenty heavy enough for most installations in our planes but depending how densely you pack the instruments on it, may need some reinforcements in behind it in some spots.
As for dimpling anything over .040 is a no go.

Last edited:
Just to make sure you know, Van’s does sell the pre-drilled and cut panel blanks for the RV-14. Why they don’t include them in the kit (like they always have done) is beyond me.

The panel screws are #8. This would be at the limit for countersinking into the 0.063” panel. I would never do this as the screws would then tend to ruin the panel finish every time you removed then - unless you add tinnerman washers. I suggest however that a round head #8 screw and washer would look a lot better.

Carl

Just to make sure you know, Van’s does sell the pre-drilled and cut panel blanks for the RV-14. Why they don’t include them in the kit (like they always have done) is beyond me.

The panel screws are #8. This would be at the limit for countersinking into the 0.063” panel. I would never do this as the screws would then tend to ruin the panel finish every time you removed then - unless you add tinnerman washers. I suggest however that a round head #8 screw and washer would look a lot better.

Carl

Why would countersunk screws affect the finish any more than round head? Because of a lack of washer?

correct, as you take the screw out it will cut into the paint. I have round head and nylon washers on interior screws that are removed often (same on some outside screws as well.

one time

I am hoping my panel installation is a one time occurrence.

Wow, it was hard to say that with straight face.

correct, as you take the screw out it will cut into the paint. I have round head and nylon washers on interior screws that are removed often (same on some outside screws as well.

I was thinking i would not paint the countersinks

Please note for the RV14, there is a portion of the canopy that overlaps the penal screws on top and if not flush screws are used, it will most likely interfere with that.
I have used .90 sheet in the past for a bit more ridged panel. This might become a bit more prudent if you are intergrading the throttle bracket into your penal.

Most of my panels were powder coated & very robust in the counter sinks, not damaged by screws. The painted panels did sometimes show scuffing in the countersinks, I cleaned them up with a c/s bit & with stainless screws inserted, the result looked planned. Panels I used vinyl wrap on, I did not countersink & used domed SS screws & plastic washers, not bad looking either, but the other two styles seemed more finished looking IMHO.

Back