What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Swapped out the non touch for the touch

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Well Garmin suckered me in with that New Horizon Rebate offer. Stein took more of my money and I’m almost broke. Here is a few pictures of the install.

645AE569-5DC5-4B36-9821-2514FD286ED4.jpg 9FF10CAD-C17F-4D93-83F6-8969ADD675FB.jpg
4B248A0F-5DF8-4BE5-9515-9DB966C57C48.jpeg E8251B87-5015-4BCB-8773-50FBE88EE17C.jpeg 211D9432-4123-433F-A77B-A7159E5536B6.jpg
B6A60F9A-9120-4C36-926F-D00DC59488DD.jpg

My non-touch screens are now for sale see the for sale ad posted last night!

Last edited:
G3X MOVE TO TOUCH

Bobby

I'm curious to know what got you to move from your current g3x to the touch model.

Both looks to be ''Screen wise anyway'' about the same in clarity etc..

Are there a lot more functions on the Touch or is the ''Vintage '' g3x in danger of losing support from Garmin..??

I have a Dynon Skyview system in my -4 but I always like the dual screen layout of the g3x specially for IFR..If I could sell all my Dynon stuff I will buy yours and go Garmin...

Enjoy your new screens..

Bruno

I have been considering this. How much wiring was required?

And - - what was your logic for not going with the single large format display?

Last edited:
Bobby

I'm curious to know what got you to move from your current g3x to the touch model.

Both looks to be ''Screen wise anyway'' about the same in clarity etc..

Are there a lot more functions on the Touch or is the ''Vintage '' g3x in danger of losing support from Garmin..??

I have a Dynon Skyview system in my -4 but I always like the dual screen layout of the g3x specially for IFR..If I could sell all my Dynon stuff I will buy yours and go Garmin...

Enjoy your new screens..

Bruno

If your still analog the non -touch screens are still great!

I switched for faster processors and a few more features mainly. I don't think the non-touch is in any danger of losing support but the features are maxed out and I don't think there will be many further updates. I almost didn't do it, but I caved and did it anyway.

As far as any more wiring - None was required, it was plug and play from the non to the touch. There is optional wiring that can be added for redundancy, if desired. RS232 backups for some of the canbus connections.

Oh, and I got that t-shirt from SteinAir at Oshkosh last year. But they did send another white one. Those are some really expensive T-shirts :)

Last edited:
Back