What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insane to buy a Garmin 155XL?

DylanRush

I currently have an Apollo GX55 in my panel that is essentially useless as it will stop receiving database updates this year. I also have a Dynon Skyview Touch, an ILS and a single COM, and a GRT mini-X EFIS.

I want to be able to fly GPS approaches but I don't necessarily need WAAS. I'm never going to fly down to those minimums intentionally and I have ILS if I really need to.

I see a Garmin 155XL for sale for $1100 locally, and maybe a Garmin 155 for sale for $700 on eBay. Along with these I'd need a $475 ARINC-429 adapter from Dynon.

I was thinking of getting one of these and get non-precision GPS approaches for $1200-$1500. Along with the ILS my plane will be IFR legal.

Is this crazy? I could go into it eyes wide open and understand the risk that nav updates might dry up just like the Apollo units. Then spring for a newer Garmin (GPS 175/ GTN650) when they come down in price.

Do not throw good money after bad. You are already IFR by having the VOR and ILS equipment with your current GPS.

Most of the older IFR GPS units require a CDI and an ACU to be IFR legal in addition to having the database for the approach being flown.

The question to ask about the 155XL is will the spare parts run out before the database is no longer published?

Ah good points. It does seem nutty to replace my current GPS with an even older GPS. So the TSO would only cover certain CDIs or annunciators and the Skyview couldn't do that?

Ah good points. It does seem nutty to replace my current GPS with an even older GPS. So the TSO would only cover certain CDIs or annunciators and the Skyview couldn't do that?

Strictly speaking, the TSO covers everything - antenna, indicators, panel placement, etc. But the FARs don’t say ‘TSO’, they say ‘approved’. And while so far, the faa has not approved a main gps box unless it is TSO’d, they seem content to let EAB aircraft use indicators, etc., that satisfactorily perform the same function as the TSO’d units. So short answer, yes, the Skyview CDI/HSI can be used. It can also replace annunciators if it can replicate the approved ones. Many builders have mounted antennas not in compliance with the TSO’d installation instructions (which personally I think is a bad idea) but so far the FAA has been silent. BTW, unless the rules have changed, you can continue to use your existing gps even with an expired database for enroute only. You’re supposed to check that you have the needed waypoints, and that none have moved.

Get the iFly for your android or apple phone and try that .30 days free. With an "IFR" update you will get all the RNAV and waypoints there to fly that approach ofcourse with an "observer" see how that works and maybe an Ipad would cover that need. All the plates and overlays as well as target altitudes are there on the screen. But a bit small on the "phone" display

Get the iFly for your android or apple phone and try that .30 days free. With an "IFR" update you will get all the RNAV and waypoints there to fly that approach ofcourse with an "observer" see how that works and maybe an Ipad would cover that need. All the plates and overlays as well as target altitudes are there on the screen. But a bit small on the "phone" display

I already have ForeFlight. I am looking for a cheap, FAA approved way to fly IFR approaches. I don’t think iFly would help me - I want to be able to legally file and execute a IFR flight plan that includes a GPS approach. (Although I would have no problem doing this in an emergency.) I think iFly is only for situational awareness.

I am looking for a cheap, FAA approved way to fly IFR approaches.

At this time it doesn’t exist for gps approaches. GRT has built LPV capability directly into some of their EFIS offerings, not TSO’d, hoping that if enough pilots use it under vfr and build up a database of successful outcomes that maybe the faa will relax its stance - which, so far, is to require a TSO authorization($$).

Personally I would just wait and watch the ads for a used 175. I suspect they will start showing up soon. It’s a great little unit and you will be set for the next 15 years.

I already have ForeFlight. I am looking for a cheap, FAA approved way to fly IFR approaches. I don’t think iFly would help me - I want to be able to legally file and execute a IFR flight plan that includes a GPS approach. (Although I would have no problem doing this in an emergency.) I think iFly is only for situational awareness.

I bought a KLN-90 a few years ago and did my IFR training with it. Now have a 430W. It was a good unit and King is still selling DB's at a reasonable price (same as Garmin, I recall). Back then, decent units were going for $800, probably less now. It uses ARINC also. I believe it also had the connections for the old school CDI's as well.

Larry

IFR GPS

''I bought a KLN-90 a few years ago It was a good unit and King is still selling DB's at a reasonable price (same as Garmin, I recall). Back then, decent units were going for $800,. It uses ARINC also. I believe it also had the connections for the old school CDI's as well.''
----------------------
I did the same as Larry and still have my KLN-90B in my RV-4 and it is working flawlessly on every IFR approach I've done with it..The Database are current and stil available from Bendix/King.

Mine is connected to my Dynon Skyview.

I will be selling it soon to update to a G-175 to get LPV approaches capablities so let me know if interested, wiring harness and up to date database included..

Bruno

I ended up getting a new GPS-175 for $4000 from a gentleman who was not able to get it installed due to various circumstances. Looks like it’s the whole kit including antenna, tray and data card. So that’s what I’ll be installing. Still not sure if I’m going to do it myself or work with an avionics shop. But I don’t have a hangar so an avionics shop is looking a bit more attractive. If anyone knows a good shop in Seattle to recommend, please let me know!

Back