What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a machine or CNC shop

AX-O

Well Known Member
All,
I designed an air filter adapter for the carbon fiber part I have been working on http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=179825&highlight=air+filter

p5-ncLlqPPYPqjQad9x4Bgo1GyVpSV5s8P_ysyN-XWZGEe5FKnw_jcSRrEW18YZFE0VeKy72kjQyW6vNB0mM-izwVDzERz20hF992QvUkLuC785LMWL6pnCT5NA37pq1TcYEFGclC4KnGn3WO9F9ZAmB3uGcsCOv2clbdhP4nWgEVDy4XvBU0M_gx2m5_7Uks1_RANC2NhJ9F7qtDwMUAXgS2IoHMJIfgVtR_0vSR0FECMb7eXQgb6EcylN2V7q4VQPXfifIfjnTh4WqxAvUobTRg1YiKkAO3aY63w_SkyLSVby7Va34MN2IrAMZ_sLWLFDEXsVaJCMikxEs1pE5sepcNAWMJfCErV6Hg2xdzdtjRCsFLGu_A7GkWSSXhX71XEj6yJS3oXISnV0rX2_0RYXgJKH2MwRKv1iTSoITujfXqzBnDlsYaiS2R5GO3Gma4Gw0ufb0QchyWY78gYDDXStRXQuYjM0fP9rTKVptvre2y5pWGkVmlSF3SGqEfLbEtQ5vWgIKyjy-dUsEeT44ydKk8rMcL1hvZNZ1i31L9IfMpCFMn3zcFAQ6eed1yt7YbMlDNm48iRl_V5GQb4e9HQGC_rKv08yTYKVugxD_eclTP8Rrlu9m49xyLQ1QNqiUQctC7nYtXaTtjoKWc7mm_yB31azfUgmSZpjv55HQzoLKXqHdUOqupGsZZQcc=w988-h907-no

I was going to make the adapter out of carbon fiber also but the fiber does not want to lay nicely. Does anyone have a machine or CNC shop? Ideally I would send the file in and a part would show up at my house, as long as it is not crazy expensive.

I found a few places online that supposedly machine your part as desire but have never used these types of services. has anyone on VAF ever done that?

I have a few different designs based on complexity, material and potential associated cost.

thanks,

Last edited:
I've got a very similar air inlet on my Rocket. You have to make it with tapered overlapping strips about 2" wide at the bottom. You can sort of see it thru the filler in the pic below.

hgoyQPdlK1runpErF2dBnFiLtwqA7-4fU19ky-NnabxP3E20BvhNsX-VgyIyyGb3O0Rl1bl-NXSUnECZpQf3C0Xh16L5ddv3FHg2kBM9UlYCQHd0_SjOgXFyidEjX5MqaRa7azgBdrs=w400

Last edited:
Cut it in half

Axel-

You?ll have more success if you make this in two halves. Build a joggle into the mold so you can cleco it together and then put a 2? tape over the seam. I did a similar mold for an interesting wheel pant shape:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RokgHJLPfFk6qHR98

The advantage is you can vacuum bag the half part. If you?re creative with the mold you can make it so the parts are symmetric and get away with a single mold.

I've had good success with 3dHubs. Much of their machining capability comes via China, but quality is great and price is good too. Gotten several AC prototype parts from them. It's almost funny--you shoot a STEP file to the Netherlands and two weeks later you get a box from China with your parts.

As for your composite layup problem, use twill-weave cloth.

Thanks for the info guys.

I was trying to make this out of one piece. Already made one out of 2 pieces with fractions of cloth. not happy with it. in the quest for learning, I also wanted to try the machine or cnc route.

Who knows, this may turn into a product for other folks.

Thank you again.

CNC shop for new inlet

AX-O

Have you given any thought to someone with a 3D printer that could make it?

At Boeing we made some parts that way.

All,
I designed an air filter adapter for the carbon fiber part I have been working on http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=179825&highlight=air+filter

p5-ncLlqPPYPqjQad9x4Bgo1GyVpSV5s8P_ysyN-XWZGEe5FKnw_jcSRrEW18YZFE0VeKy72kjQyW6vNB0mM-izwVDzERz20hF992QvUkLuC785LMWL6pnCT5NA37pq1TcYEFGclC4KnGn3WO9F9ZAmB3uGcsCOv2clbdhP4nWgEVDy4XvBU0M_gx2m5_7Uks1_RANC2NhJ9F7qtDwMUAXgS2IoHMJIfgVtR_0vSR0FECMb7eXQgb6EcylN2V7q4VQPXfifIfjnTh4WqxAvUobTRg1YiKkAO3aY63w_SkyLSVby7Va34MN2IrAMZ_sLWLFDEXsVaJCMikxEs1pE5sepcNAWMJfCErV6Hg2xdzdtjRCsFLGu_A7GkWSSXhX71XEj6yJS3oXISnV0rX2_0RYXgJKH2MwRKv1iTSoITujfXqzBnDlsYaiS2R5GO3Gma4Gw0ufb0QchyWY78gYDDXStRXQuYjM0fP9rTKVptvre2y5pWGkVmlSF3SGqEfLbEtQ5vWgIKyjy-dUsEeT44ydKk8rMcL1hvZNZ1i31L9IfMpCFMn3zcFAQ6eed1yt7YbMlDNm48iRl_V5GQb4e9HQGC_rKv08yTYKVugxD_eclTP8Rrlu9m49xyLQ1QNqiUQctC7nYtXaTtjoKWc7mm_yB31azfUgmSZpjv55HQzoLKXqHdUOqupGsZZQcc=w988-h907-no

I was going to make the adapter out of carbon fiber also but the fiber does not want to lay nicely. Does anyone have a machine or CNC shop? Ideally I would send the file in and a part would show up at my house, as long as it is not crazy expensive.

I found a few places online that supposedly machine your part as desire but have never used these types of services. has anyone on VAF ever done that?

I have a few different designs based on complexity, material and potential associated cost.

thanks,

Talk with Geoff at aerosportproducts.com. Geoff?s main business is Aerosportmodeling.com.

Looking forward to what you com up with. I have been running the Rod Bower intake but would be interested in simplifying things up there, depending on how yours comes out.

all,
got about 8 folks that contacted me. Will get back with everyone tomorrow. Found a shop about 90 miles from home. Thank you so much for the response.

break

the rocket adapter wont work. wrong servo.

I have a 4axis cnc mill, but it is down for a week or so while I wait for a new motion controller. I also have a 12x28 lathe. Post a picture or drawing. I may be able to do it, but would like to see some specifics.

Back