What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Original RV-4 wood stick grip

ZemsRV4

I am planning to install an Infinity stick grip to my -4 which currently has the original wooden stick grip. I don?t see any attach bolts/screws to remove the grip. Can someone tell me how it is secured to the stick? I can?t imagine it is glued to the stick.
cat-med_custom-stick.jpg

RV-4 STICK GRIP

Hi Brian

Mine were only install really tight on the stick with no glue or anything holding them in place but when I removed them to be replaced with Infinity Grip I really had to pull to get them out..

I think yours might be install the same way..If they rotate a little when force is applied they are most likely like mine..

You will love the Infinity grip and they are held in place a lot tighter..

Cheers

Bruno

I still use these on my 7A. Best I recall, there is a set screw in the base of the grip.

Mine turn a little bit but I like the fact that I can adjust as needed for comfort..

Being a homebuilt, it could be done any number of ways. There is no plans for how to attach those stick grips.

My Dad has an RV-7 with those grips and a set screw, drilled and tapped, on the front side fairly low on the grip to be hidden out of sight. I recently installed some in my RV-4 and used hot glue as a temporary solution at first. My grips have started spinning slightly as others have said and I'll shortly be drilling and tapping for a set screw like Dad's.

If yours have no visible set screws, they're probably glued. If it doesn't come off easy (like my hot glue debacle...) then it might be Epoxy. In that case, best of luck to you getting those off. You might have to break the wood to get them off or just buy new stick tube. Tubing is fairly cheap compared to the damage you could do.

Back