What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Design your own panel in CAD?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I want to try my hand and doing my own panel in CAD, and then get a commercial laser cutter to cut it. This would be the perfect thing to do on the side at work, during lunch etc, for people like me that earn a living using computers.

I know a lot of you have done this, and I don?t want to re-invent the wheel or fall into the same pit falls that first timer do.

The problem is that the last time I worked a little bit with a CAD program was at university 12 years ago. :eek:

Here are my Questions:
1) What is the best, easy to learn Freeware CAD program to do 2-Dimensional panel drawings? (Or where can I get a Good commercial CAD software version for cheap that will suite 2D panel design)

2) Instead of redrawing all the instrument cut-outs from scratch I am sure one can re-use other people?s instrument cut-outs and ?copy and paste? it into your panel. I would really appreciate it if you have done one, and willing to share, that you email me your CAD files so that I can Re-use the instrument cut-outs. (click on my username to see my email address)

3) What lessons have you learned about designing and getting your panel cut that you can pass on?

Thank you very much in advance.
Kind Regards
Rudi

DXF file compatibility

RudiGreyling said:

3) What lessons have you learned about designing and getting your panel cut that you can pass on?

Kind Regards
Rudi
Rudi...
I found one important item to check if you are using a non-AutoCAD drawing package is the compatibility of it's DXF file output with the CAM panel cutting software.

I have two examples...

1. A local company who makes copper outdoor light fixtures would cut a panel for me quite cheaply... but a test case from my TurboCAD program failed. Apparently my SW turned all of the circles into thousands of short straight lines when it made a DXF file, and this overloaded his cutting program.

2. A similar file worked instantly in a neighbors automatic routing machine. Apparently his CAM software could take the multiple straight lines and convert them back to a circle. He cut a nice sub-panel for my Tiger with it...

So... whatever software you use, generate a simple test case first for your cutting company and make sure there are no CAD translation issues....

gil in Tucson

I used AutoCAD.. it's complex and not very intuitive, but I just needed simple stuff... rectangles and a few circles..

One thing I realized afterwards was that I was very conservative with spacing... could have put things a little closer etc..

Also, wish I thought of every hole in the panel.. I had initially missed a few switches etc..

RudiGreyling said:
Hi Guys,

I want to try my hand and doing my own panel in CAD, and then get a commercial laser cutter to cut it. This would be the perfect thing to do on the side at work, during lunch etc, for people like me that earn a living using computers.

I know a lot of you have done this, and I don?t want to re-invent the wheel or fall into the same pit falls that first timer do.

The problem is that the last time I worked a little bit with a CAD program was at university 12 years ago. :eek:

Here are my Questions:
1) What is the best, easy to learn Freeware CAD program to do 2-Dimensional panel drawings? (Or where can I get a Good commercial CAD software version for cheap that will suite 2D panel design)

2) Instead of redrawing all the instrument cut-outs from scratch I am sure one can re-use other people?s instrument cut-outs and ?copy and paste? it into your panel. I would really appreciate it if you have done one, and willing to share, that you email me your CAD files so that I can Re-use the instrument cut-outs. (click on my username to see my email address)

Kind Regards
Rudi
Check this out:
http://www.alibre.com/products/

-mike

AutoSketch

Hi Rudi,

I used AutoSketch version 5 when I went to college. Now they have version 9 I believe. AutoSketch is really affordable and made by the same people who makes AutoCAD. I remember that we could export DXF files even on version 5 and had panels cut out from them.

Autocad light

I think autodesk still sells and Autocad "Light" version. It's limited to mostly 2-D and doesn't do any solid 3-d parts. However last time I looked it sold for $600 smackers.

I started down the same road about a year ago using Autocad here at work. I think I have a basic panel drawing that I downloaded from Vans web site. Then I found several sources online of "standard" instrument cutouts. I did draw an modular set up similar to affordable panels set up. However in the end I ended up buying an Affordable panel from a member here in this group.

Hi Rudi,

I used SolidWorks for it, but that is the tool of my trade (and not cheap..). I know that there are several freeware packages available on the 'net. Most important thing is that they have a dxf output. The end result is more than worth it in terms of quality and fitting, allthough it still pays off to have a mockup (ig in plastic) to have a dummy which you can improve in the final product. More info on our adventures: http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=8284 and beyond. If you want you have our files.

Don't forget the Sub-Panel..

Whatever you use, keep in mind depth to the sub-panel and for the TU, room for the hinge arms, the corner supports, the two support ribs and the stiffeners (3). Also, the actual angle brace along the curved top of the panel. Oh, yes, also the nutplates that support the drop-piece on which the throttle, mixture, etc. are mounted. Finally, watch out for where you can or cannot cut the sub-panel including the hat section for the TU release mechanism and the places where the side pieces join the center piece of the sub-panel.

Last edited:
CorelDraw DXF

Another data point... CorelDraw (any version) accurately reads and writes DXF files. For the simple 2D jobs such as panel layout, it works great and I've not encountered a plotter that didn't like its output. :)

Hi Rudi,
I use Solidworks and AutoCad in my profession and honestly what I bought for designing panels is way better and cheaper. Check out PanelPlanner software. It has templates for all the RV series plus may others and will output a DXF for programming the laser,waterjet, or CNC mill. The graphics are wonderful and you can print out a full color panel on paper to tape on the panel blank to see exactly how it will look. www.panelplanner.com

Hi Guys,

Wow fantastic feedback and good suggestions. Exactly what I was looking for.

PS: remember to send my your DXF files so I can reuse your component cutouts

Regards
Rudi

rv8ch said:
Here's a short article with some pictures of my laser cutting experience. I'd recommend water jet cutting.

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php/20070408211525914

Mickey, judging by the quality of the cuts done by the machine used to cut your panel, it must be a pretty old machine. The latest generation of laser cutting machines do much better due to better optics and shielding. As a result the heat affected zone is much smaller. I just had my panel lasered for my F1 at a friend's shop. Their new Mitsubushi laser cutting machine did a fantastic job and it looks as if it done on the waterjet. I can't beat the price, which was to take my laser guy for a ride in the RV. :D

Regards,
Bob Japundza
RV-6 flying F1 under const.

heat deformation

ptrotter said:
I had my panel cut by the same company that cut yours and while mine also looked kind of ugly when it arrived, it only took me 5 minutes to clean it up and all the holes were clean and perfect. The end result was very nice.
You are right, it didn't take long to clean it up. The main problem was the small piece at the top that was designed to separate my indicator lights from the EFIS. It was about 1/8" thick, and due to the heat it actually deformed so I had to remove it. Not a big deal, but if I had it to do again I'd either find a water jet cutter or one of the newer generation lasers as Bob suggested.

I was lucky enough to have access to Autocad & a D size plotter. I had used autocad years ago and had become fairly good with it. I started out with a subscription to E Panel, roughed it out and then did all fine details in Autocad. I recommend this. It is amazing how close you can work out all tolerances. In the end I took my cad drawing to a friend's friend who had a water jet access. It worked perfect. One word of advice, make sure the machine cuts on the waste side of the drawing lines. The machine can get "confused" if you don't watch this.

Mine came out perfect. Tolerances were very close as I was using dual screen GRT, GRT EIS,340,430, sl30, gtx330, trutrak, gizmo 496 dock & pioneer dvd, along with other stuff.

I used a sub panel and sectioned finished panel for easy removal of different avionics. The cad was so accurate you could use the water jet to drill the pilot holes for mounting instruments. The key is to review, review, review, the drawings before you cut.

3D Panel Wizard

Accuracy Avionics have a software package called 3D Panel Wizard which you can download for free at this site:

http://www.accuracyavionics.com/v1/3dwizard.html

It's based on a Solid Works 3D engine and outputs very nice panels which can be rotated in three dimensions so you can see what's happening and get dimensions of avionics etc at the rear of the panel.

The package has all the standard RV panel templates and a very wide range of contemporary avionics/instruments etc.

I only downloaded it a couple of days ago. First impressions are that it looks quite professional....and seems to be quite easy to use.

I am looking to do this, and just thought most people used e-panel builder.
Am I missing something, is DIY with the above better?

I used an old version of AutoCAD that I bought as a student in college for mine. An email to the local waterjet company & an hour later my panel was cut.

My files & more details are here: http://www.thedukes.org/rv/panel.html (Click on 26 May 05 for my DXF files).

Make sure you take the time to measure & remeasure everything. A CAD drawing & jet will make "perfect" cuts, but if you don't set it up right, they could be perfectly wrong cuts.

For those of you getting your panels water jetted... How much are you paying? How did you find someone with that capability?

Thanks,

Tony, does it have to be water jet? I can put you in touch with our local guy who has the capability to cut the panel from an AutoCAD drawing... he did it for me.. reasonable price.... I am happy with how it all went and end result.

No, it doesn't have to be water jetted. I just want to get a ball park idea of how much it costs to get someone to cut the panel for me. If it comes out to be too expensive, I will just do it myslef.

apatti said:
No, it doesn't have to be water jetted. I just want to get a ball park idea of how much it costs to get someone to cut the panel for me. If it comes out to be too expensive, I will just do it myslef.
Tony-Can't answer the cost of having it done question, but will reinforce the idea that it's not really that hard to cut the panel yourself. If you get a hand nibbler tool (they're real cheap) cutting panels are a piece of cake.
http://www.averytools.com/p-248-adel-hand-nibbling--tool.aspx

By the time you get it all laid out in autocad you could have had it done by yourself, saved yourself some money, and learned a new skill. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back