What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT Probe defective-Dynon

ron sterba

Well Known Member
RV9A IO-320 D1A....cannot get the probe all the way out of the header pipe hole. It appears it?s about half way out. It turns in the hole of the exhaust pipe easily but won?t budge outward.. I haven?t tried prying it out. This is my 3rd defective EGT probe in 58 hours of flying in the past two years. The other two defective EGT probes just slid out. Appreciate any thoughts. Ron in Oregon

The EGT probe will get some deposits on it making it tight in the hole. Wiggle and pull. More wiggle, more pull. It'll come out.
Chance is the probe itself is not defective but the crimped connector on the solid wire. Lotta posts on that problem.

The EGT probe will get some deposits on it making it tight in the hole. Wiggle and pull. More wiggle, more pull. It'll come out.

+1 I had the same issue on mine. Just kept working it and it did come out. Throw a little mouse milk on it to help out.

In speaking with Dynon after 2 probe failures they said I had the earlier probes which were more prone to failure than the newer ones. Even though not under warranty they discounted the price 50% on a new set of probes. No issues since with the new probes, although I only have about 170 hrs on them. Only got around 50 before issues with the last ones.

Al

I had a similar problem (apparent failure) with 2 or 3 of my Dynon probes now. All were fixed by using my connector crimp tool to simply crimp over the existing factory crimp on the connectors.

Worth a try before discarding a probe.

Thanks Al and Dave, will give that a try today. I did unplug the old probe at the connector spades and plugged the new one in and the red X was gone and the new one showed room temperature so that was a good thing. Let you know later today. Thanks Ron

I had a similar problem (apparent failure) with 2 or 3 of my Dynon probes now. All were fixed by using my connector crimp tool to simply crimp over the existing factory crimp on the connectors.

I've found that this will work for a while, but eventually, it'll go bad again, requiring either cutting the wires and putting a new connector on, or replacing the probe.

I have on hand, but have not yet installed, one of the sets of plug-style connectors that are designed specifically for thermocouple probes. I'm waiting for another one to fail, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed (although it's been a couple hundred hours now since I've had an issue).

Ron here. I got the probe out finally. Ended up cutting off the wire at the probe shaft and sticking the probe shaft in a cordless drill chuck. On high it took about a minute to get it out of the exhaust pipe. The probe measured .124” at the base of the probe insert and .136” at the tip. The new insert measured .124” the full length. About .012” -.014” of gunk on the tip Iam thinking. Before I cut that probe wire off I recrimped the spade terminals, plugged it back in and it worked,,,,, for how long??? Good question, since this one was intermittent the last flight. Yep it was one of the first probes by Dynon and I now have three of the new probes from Dynon. Thanks everyone! Other problem is a quick oil drain ( blue slider part ) that is oh so slightly leaking. I’ll repost with the new question RV Disccussion . Thanks
Ron in Oregon

Back