What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV-8 Design Mods?

IBAAV8R

I'm New Here
I have been flying since 1969 and have owned many planes but I am a newbie to the RV-8 community. I have admired the plane for many years and am now considering purchasing one. My question is have there been any design changes or improvements since the inception of the RV-8? Is there any specific series or year I should avoid or AD's that have been issued that I should confirm compliance? Are there any after market mods I should look for?

Sorry for any redundancy that you guys might have to tolerate in this post, but as I said this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to pass along. I'm looking forward to becoming a member of the RV-8 club.

I am no expert on the 8 but do have one and love it. So will you.

As far as I know, it is a clean design coming after the RV-4. There have been no major changes except matched drilled holes with CNC machine.

They major difference from one airplane to another are engine and propeller.

The IO360 (200HP) with CS prop seems to be most common. There are some with larger engines.

I have IO360 (180HP) with FP prop. The airplane is lighter than most but is very satisfying to fly even with FP prop.

These are personal choices...its all a matter of what you want.

I would make sure if bought second hand, that you have the predrilled fuse. Refered to as -1 (I beliieve, been a while now).

Early rv-8 fuses were like the rv-4, no predrilled holes.

I've had my 8 for almost 5 years now and absolutely love it! You will too.

There are two service bulletins that need to be followed during each condition inspection: SB-14-01-31 (check for stabilizer cracks) and SB-14-02-05 (check for elevator spar web cracks). As long as both pass visual inspection, you're good to go for another year. Mine has always passed, but my shop charges me about $40 in labor to do the inspections.

Back