What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag Timing Questions

mfshook62

Well Known Member
After I set the timing on both Pmags (ver. 4.0) according to the Operating Guide and then rotate the prop one or two turns, I observe that both green LED's don't turn on at exactly the same time, and one or the other are usually about a degree or more off TDC. I think I read in one of the posts that Pmags only have 256 steps per one 360 degree rotation, or 1.4 degree per step, which might account for both Pmags not turning green at exactly the same time. Of course, the mags always perform fine in this condition.

My questions are:

1. Do the mags fire at the same instant that the green LED turns on?

2. Do the mags fire as they were set at the closest of the 360 degrees, or do they fire at the closest of the 256 steps?

3. If I want both Pmags to fire at the same instant should they be carefully rotated in the case until both green LEDs turn on at TDC?

Last edited:
There is a ton of slop in the gear train. Good luck ever getting em exactly the same and them staying that way.

The PMag resolution when it comes to firing angle is ~1.4° due to the 8 bit hardware inside.

Last edited:
As Brian said, there is a lot of slop in the gear train, about 1.5 degrees +/-.

There are a lot of issues that can cause this but two easy solutions.

One, loosen one P-mag and turn it just a little and tighten it down. It doesn't take much.

When you retime the P-mags, bring the prop to TDC. If you have to back it up, bring it way past TDC and then back to TDC. Turn on your Master and blow in one tube that sets both P-mags at the same time. Do not blow in one tube for one P-mag and then blow in the other tube for the second P-mag.

Don't ask me why but that may help. It has solved some timing alarm issues with the EICommander and we have no idea why. If the prop doesn't rotate between puffs of air, they should be set the same but for some reason that is not the case.

Back