What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tire sources?

scsmith

Well Known Member
Its time for me to think about replacing my 380-150-5 tires. ACS has Aero Classic for $123.75, and Desser has them for $120. Desser also has Goodyear and Michelin in this size.

Are there other sources I should check?

What about retreads?

Oh, and is there someone that would want my old ones that makes retreads?

Otherwise, they would be handy for a builder that wants to have some for fitment while working on installing wheel pants, to make sure the bigger tires fit.

Four Words: Desser Tire Elite Retreads

Bought two sets and they seemed to last twice as long as the Vans originals. And they are about the same cost.

Last edited:
I've used nothing but Desser retreads on my airplanes for the past forty years or so Steve - never had a problem. Just a data point.

I used to use Wilkerson Retreads, until several sets in a row came with badly cracked sidewalls. Then I quit - that was about 15 years ago.

They would upon special order not grind the tread grooves at least on the 600-6 size. These slick tires are better for taildraggers on pavement because they don't have as much friction laterally.

Dave

thanks for the suggestions, but so far, no one seems to have picked up on the fact that I am looking for 380-150-5.

thanks for the suggestions, but so far, no one seems to have picked up on the fact that I am looking for 380-150-5.

I have retreads in 380-150-5 but found them on Ebay from another AC owner. I spoke to one of the retread shops (Desser I think). They said they simply don't get that size in very often, but you can send yours back for the process (if they pass the initial inspection). I have no idea how long that will take. You may have to buy new for now and have a get your old set retread later for a spare set.

Bevan

I have retreads in 380-150-5 but found them on Ebay from another AC owner. I spoke to one of the retread shops (Desser I think). They said they simply don't get that size in very often, but you can send yours back for the process (if they pass the initial inspection). I have no idea how long that will take. You may have to buy new for now and have a get your old set retread later for a spare set.

Bevan

Thanks Bevan, thats a good suggestion. I can put on my old set of 500x 5 while they do the retreads. I didn't think of that. I'll call them.

Back